Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Moon Light Manor

Another composite, the shot of the manor ruins was taken on a rather dull day with a grotty grey sky, the result was rather uninspiring so I thought I'd convert it to a night image and see what happens.
    Any thoughts or suggestions as to what I got right or wrong would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moon Light Manor-ruins4.jpg  
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Re: Moon Light Manor

Pete, nice job making this a mysterious image. I think backing off the blue saturation a bit might be helpful, as that seems maybe a little overdone. My first impression was that the windows were glass, and thus the light through the panes seemed to be reflection - and that was odd. When I realized the light was coming through from the back, it confirmed that the structure was more ruins than abode. Maybe adding a little more light overall, and then darkening all the windows to black would be even more mysterious? If you have enough texture in the sky to try a dramatic B&W version, that would be interesting for comparison.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

GB1

Worthy experiment for sure.

I think the moon being behind the building means that the side of the building facing the camera would be mostly, if not all, dark. I prefer it being somewhat lit like you have the bottom left, but that doesn't carry over to the top and right side: unless there's something reflecting the light on the lit area (like a white wall), it probably isn't realistic, if realism is something you are shooting for.

I think it works from a creative perspective. Mysterious, interesting building, well-composed.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Ken as you pointed out the saturation is probably a bit over the top, I've added a more desaturated version ( is that an oxymoron ? ) and ran a detail enhance routine I sometimes use.

GB I think you are right about the effect the shadow would have on the facing wall but as this is a composite I have used a bit of artistic licence ( if there is such a thing... )
    The detail and texture of the stone walls are part of the narrative in this image so i think they need to be a bit visible. I tried to get the effect of the moon light on the upper and lefthand corner edges but couldn't come up with anything even slightly realistic.

Thanks for your input guys its given me some points to ponder
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moon Light Manor-ruins6.jpg  
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

hminx, looks like a scene out of scoobie-doo!

Thread Information