Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dune

GB1

Dune

Another sandy dune at White Sands, NM. It seems to have potential, but ... Not sure.

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dune-dsc_0114_px800.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Dune

Potential, it has. With a darker sky, it may improve. My 2 cents, it is.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Now I've only seen small dunes at the ocean so I'm wondering why the lines in the dune are pretty sharp throughout but there's that blurry line across the bottom of the steep part.
    Is this natural or a focus problem caused by something?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

MB1

This is killer!

I'm thinking a crop on the left to just barely get rid of the plants.

Perfect place for a polorizer filter to pop the sky.
    No, I DON'T need that.

I love it. If it were my picture, I'd darken the sky a bit and increase the contrast. Maybe bump up the saturation too.
    Jim R

Canon 5D mkII - Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

It's exactly right the way it is in my opinion.

Congratulations.

Phil G.

I really like it but I think its just a bit too much sand and not enough sky, if you cropped the top half I think you'd have a really cool panorama. Good capture.

GB, great. I also would suggest darkening the sky, and increasing overall saturation. I too notice the odd looking soft spot in the left to middle center where the slope meets the level part
    It looks very odd, and I'm curious as to whether it was something you did or naturally occuring.
    It's a great image
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I like this one! I would be inclined to clone out the bush and maybe boost the contrast just a smidgen to emphasise the textures, but those are relatively small things. It has almost an abstract and minimalist quality.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

GB1

Well guys, thanks and I am truly surprised to get this type of response to the pic here, especially since I wasn't sure it was a keeper or not (was going through old images, deleting the misses). I think the wavy area in the middle, which is natural and, as far as I can tell, in focus, sort of makes it a novelty (maybe somewhat like an optical illusion).

Anyway - I'm sure what you see here us gone now. Took this in April 07 and those dunes constantly shift: wavy no more.

Tried playing with the blue and managed to shift it to a darker blue (all other adjustments immediately added noise). Upped the contrast a bit too. I also cloned out the bushes: do you notice it, and/or would you have noticed if you hadn't seen the original?

MB, I think I did use a polarizer ..? Maybe ineffective due to the location of the sun (time of day).

Thanks again!

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dune-dsc_0114_2_1_px800.jpg  

My Site

Do you know one of Ansel Adams' photos kind of look like this, but B&W?

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

WOW! I love the final one! Once again, hanging on my wall I would look even better

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    Do you know one of Ansel Adams' photos kind of look like this, but B&W?
    I never saw that one by Ansel. but do you mean like this ?

Thanks too, Lori!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dune-dune1.jpg  

My Site

Very cool! I think taking out the tree was a good move.

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

I'm with Frog, the middle part adds an intriguing effect to the picture? I guess it's natural, maybe the wind catching more at that point? I prefer the original sky though, for me it's warmer.
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

I wouldn't have noticed if the bushes were removed. I think it adds an element to the photo. Just my 2c on a great photo already.
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

I think just cropping the left side making it more level across the top would work. I think the second edit was pushed to far and you lost the natural blue of the sky. I think as Mike stated a contrast and maybe a levels adjustment would have done the trick.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I'm surprised but I think my vote would go with the Ansel Adams' version, I really like it, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    I never saw that one by Ansel. but do you mean like this ?
    See for yourself

http://www.temple.edu/photo/photogra...dams/Dunes.jpg

GB1

Thks Grace and Danic, I feel like you that the bush being outta there only makes it cleaner.

Shootme, Greg, Yeah the adjusted sky is really an attempt to make it darker. Just didn't work out that well, bad noise artifacts. Don't know about cropping. I did try it but losing that 'hump' really takes away from the shot. Adding more contrast seemed to lose all the detail in the wavy area. Alas, it is what it is..

Jeff, I am split between the color and B&W. They both have their draws. I am contemplating making an 8 x 12 print of both to see how they look

AE, not a bad shot by Ansel. His composition and/or cropping is quite tricky, kind of throws me. Mine's quite different, more direct. I think the mysterious ones hold up over time though.

G

My Site

A very nice pic GB..I like the sky color with the sand. Composition wise I think the trees could be somewhere else..maybe lower right...got a shovel? You could fool around with a light stroke of burn around some of the clouds in the upper right here and there. I would like to see your cloned out tree version with original color.
    Please ask to edit photos and I'll do the same! :thumbsup:
    Thx, Rod
    http://krimingerphotography.printroom.com

I like the original the most, due to the artifacts and artificial color of the sky in the modified versions. I also like the plant, FWIW.

The plant would have made an awesome subject if you incorporated it more into the shot.

This is a GREAT capture. Well done.
    Last edited by DrRoebuck; 07-04-2008 at 09:00 AM.
    "Photography as a fad is well-nigh on its last legs, thanks principally to the bicycle craze."

-- Alfred Stieglitz
    The American Annual of Photography, 1897

L.A. Landscapes

Nothing to add. I came, I saw, I liked!
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    John
    PLEASE ASK BEFORE MAKING ANY EDITS. THANK YOU.

If I care enough to leave a critique or comment on your work, please return the favor.

My Aviation photos:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/addiesgranddaddy

Everything else:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9367218@N03/

I am going to say something that is going to raise an eyebrow or two. I looked at Ansel Adams' picture and like your desaturated version much better. Ansel Adams has taken some great pictures and has a reputation that is hard to beat but that doesn't make him unbeatable on every shot he has ever taken. I personally like this shot better and really don't care for his at all.

I wonder if these two photographs were put here side to side without names attached just how many people would pick this one also, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information