Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: One to rip

One to rip

OK guys here is one to rip. Love to do this type thing but haven't had the gear for a while. Takes a while to get back in the swing. Just stopped by the camera shop today to look around and they had a used Nikkor 105 f2.8 micro sitting on the shelf. Did a little haggling and ended up waking out with it. (Kind of sound like Steve Lutz don't I. Has anyone heard from him, sure miss his post.) At any rate waked out the door and while still in the parking lot beside the store snaped this. Handheld 1/90 at f9.5 ISO 200. Have at it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One to rip-magnolia.jpg  

I love the camera and the rrichness of the shots...I have one VERY tiny nitpik and that would be the center of the flower being slightly out of focus...but it has so much more going on that is so striking that it barely takes my focus away... I love the colors and how vibrnt (but soft) this scene is...ooohh please keep shooting and posting
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

hmmm... are you walking around with the water spray bottle... or has it really just rained? Great flower shot btw.. I love flowers, they are very photogenic... As a personal preference, I would rather see more flower less leafs... but I also think I also see your point.
    Opinions I got lots, expertise none!! Hmm… except for giving opinions!!

I've taken many shots like this myself - sharp enough and well exposed and interesting in that the macro perspective is different, but that's about it. The trick, I think is to find an interesting compostion or viewpoint or focus in on the details. Just my $.02.

I think Lava lamp summed it up right. I like the detail in this shot and especially for handheld at 1/90, did a fine job at getting it sharp I have read about there being a kind of unwritten rule about hand held shooting with various focal lengths. That you should have a shutter speed just faster than what your focal length is i.e 50 mm shot hand held at 1/60 or faster, 105 mm shoot at 1/125 or faster etc. So good job at the steady hand
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

whats up oldtimer nice picture, i like alot
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

Thanks to all fo the comments.

I ask for you to rip this photo and I appreciate the comments. I certainly agree that there is nothing out of the ordinary in this shot. I would have liked for the center to be a bit sharper, but that had to be sacrificed because of DOF limitation and handholding. I wasn't really trying to get just a flower shot, but to try and emphasize the colors and texture of the scene. I did like the richness of color and the sparkle of the rain drops. And yes they were real rain drops, it was a very over cast day with lots of rain. As you point out Lava Lamp finding the unique combination within the frame and making it work in consort to give you that exceptional image is the challenge of macro and closeup photograph. It is not just enough to have your image properly exposed and exceptably sharp. (Althought I am sometimes please just to achieve that goal.) I hope that some of my images in the future with this new toy will achieve that primary goal. Thanks again for viewing and commenting.

Thread Information