Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Awesome flower

Awesome flower

I have been taking a lot of macro pictures of flowers lately and I wanted to make the background black and white but leave the flower in color. This was my first attempt and I am pretty happy with the results, what do you guys think?

Sony DSC-H2

Seb

Re: Awesome flower

Quote Originally Posted by amd is the best
    I have been taking a lot of macro pictures of flowers lately and I wanted to make the background black and white but leave the flower in color. This was my first attempt and I am pretty happy with the results, what do you guys think?
    I like how the colors of the main flower are slightly muted and I definately like the tones in the background. However, I get the impression that the flower was pasted against the background. You might want to blur (moderately!) the edges of the main flower to make it blend more easily.

Seb

Here is the orginal:

I embossed the flower to make it stand out more. Thank you for the compliments/tips. Nick
    Sony DSC-H2

GB1

Edited on your AMD powered computer I would guess.

I'm OK with the b&w background ... there is less distraction from the yellows. However,I wish there was more white back there, for that would place it better. As is, seems like a flower floating in space But the flower is nice. I wish it was a little sharper/had greater DOF. Some folks like the soft touch on flowers though..

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I agree that the b/w background needs to be lighter. The background seems detached from the main subject. The vinietting around the flower (the dark outline arround the petals) also tends to detach it from the rest of the photo. Minor fixes and the image be great.

Thread Information