Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Driving into the Mountain

Okay, so its a small mountain! This was taken on the way home as we were driving, shot through the windshield, Just a slight touch up on contrast but other then that....everything else is untouched...........what do you think??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Driving into the Mountain-canyon-road2.jpg  
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Re: Driving into the Mountain

This is a great pic, though the road has the jagged jpeg lines (but that's only compression). I love this concept, very unique and wonderful composition. Though, to make this absolutely perfect, I think you'd need a vehicle or something...that would be the perfect touch.

Other than that,

Well done! Great shot!

Great composition! I particularly like the fact that it appears that we are raised above the photographed scene but I imagine that there is an incline that has led us to this position! Only comment, the dark shadow on the bottom left of the shot is a little distracting.

Thanks
    Herriot

Very Nice. I like a crop to just above the clouds on the left moving the horizon away from the center and keeping our attention on the road and the wash it heads into. The wider aspect ratio also heightens the feeling of open spaces IMO.
    I like the 'ghost' of the old road.
    ----------------------------

Thank you all very much. Jar, I actually waited to shoot until a car passed! LOL Maybe it was the color of the car but it didn't look very good in the shot.......now if it had been a truck or something...then maybe.

Harriet, Didn't even notice that shadow.....I will take care of that.

Chunk, I know it is too centered but I just always seem to be drawn to it that way. I am not sure why.
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Are these better? I like the shadow gone but I think I like it better uncropped........your opinions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Driving into the Mountain-canyon-road2.jpg   Driving into the Mountain-canyon-roadcr.jpg  
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

A mountian, now I thing of it as a hill. But I do like the photo.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

LOL, I know but "Driving into a hill" just didn't have the same effect! We had just gotten over the pass and it was starting to turn back into flat lands, this is one of the last "mountains" before we hit wheat fields.
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Removing that shadow was a great move, looks great. I love the first one in your new post, the less cropped version.

Well done!

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by ChowChi-Ching
    Okay, so its a small mountain! This was taken on the way home as we were driving, shot through the windshield, Just a slight touch up on contrast but other then that....everything else is untouched...........what do you think??
    I think that the tone are quite fantastic, especially on the hill/mountain. That being said I'd personally loose some foreground. Actually, I'd cut the picture where the road turns to the left in order to get rid of the straight stretch.

regards

Seb

Thanks!! I actually like this crop too. I still like my original but this one is definitely a second placer for me. I love driving through these rocks, they are actually so much more brilliant in person!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Driving into the Mountain-canyon-roadcrfg.jpg  
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Thread Information