Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Sunset

Sunset

Olympus E-P1
    Olympus E-PL2
    14-42mm, 11-22mm

http://guzziknight.smugmug.com/

Re: Sunset

It is a pretty good basic shot, but sunset shots are like money shots. They really need to stand out to attract the attention of the sunset pervs.

Yeah, the more I look at it, the less I like it. Oh well, next time...
    Olympus E-P1
    Olympus E-PL2
    14-42mm, 11-22mm

Quote Originally Posted by daq7
    It is a pretty good basic shot, but sunset shots are like money shots. They really need to stand out to attract the attention of the sunset pervs.
    So what could he have done to make it work better? There are two parts to a good critique - talking about what works and what doesn't, and offering advice for improving the photo.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I can see why you took this. It is a nice sunset. However, I think the good part is just that bit down in the silhouetted leaves. It's really way too much of a crop to leave you a useable image, but just to see how it works, try cropping down to the leaves just around the sun. I think you'll find that makes a much stronger image.

Next time, pay attention to what in a scene is really speaking to you. And shoot a bunch of photos so you have variations. I like the silhouetted leaves in this photo but the actual sunset part is just too small. The rest of the image is sort of ok - but sort of doesn't cut it. I can absolutely see why you made this photo and I think you were on the right track. I just think that it needed to be condensed and refined a bit. Next time try getting closer and leaving out anything that isn't absolutely necessary
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

GB1

I think this one has potential, the tree branches and leaves forming a somewhat interesting silhouette. I want them to be rock solid sharp though. The sun ...I think it needs to be bigger in the frame, really being the subject. It's also a bit of an unusual color combo in this sunset, a 'cold' sunset I guess, as blue makes it that way. That happens sometimes and I don't think adjusting the colors in post processing would work. You take it or not take it in these situations.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks guys,

The problem was that I only had a few seconds to get this shot. I got about 3 shots off and I lost the sun. It was an after thought shot. I was shooting something else, saw this and clicked.

I did a new crop for fun, but since the sun was so small, it didn't do enough for me. I'll try again if/when this opportunity comes up again.
    Olympus E-P1
    Olympus E-PL2
    14-42mm, 11-22mm

Thread Information