Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Trees in Bryce

epb

Trees in Bryce

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but found many helpful comments by looking at other people's photos. I'm including one of my own, so please let me know what you think. The image is from a recent trip to Bryce Canyon. Camera: Fuji 602z, f 5.6, 1/250 sec. Slight enhancement in Photoshiop. Thanks for your feedback.

Erik
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trees in Bryce-bryce-v-view-2-1.jpg  

Welcome!

I really like this composition a lot. You have the contrast in texture and color between the rock walls and the trees (and snow), while at the same time giving a peak to a larger scene in the background. I would say two things might improve this shot:

1) Zoom in a tiny bit more if you can or get a little closer so that the details on the trees pop a little more relative to the red rock walls.

2) Try shooting the trees against the left side wall, with no background scene peaking through. I think the original photo is a little underexposed in the tree area (probably because you didn't want to blow out the background, which is very bright). Shooting from a side angle will give you two versions, one that shows off the trees a little more, and one that shows the hidden scenery.

Alternately you could use exactly the same composition at sunrise or sunset (if it's practical), and then just expose for the trees using weighted metering.

Keep them coming; I'm sure you have lots of good ones to share.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

I would agree that the shot, at least the trees, are underexposed . Probably cause the rock walls were getting hit with light and the white snow in the foreground, the camera was compensating and wound up underexposing the subject area. Not bad though. Hope to see more. . .
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information