Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Downed Tree

GB1

Downed Tree

in the water!

Which, if either? Convention wisdom says to keep it opened up and include the nice mountains, but personally I'm finding a better photo when I crop off the top (and a little off the bottom). Comments?

G

Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Downed Tree

G, I think if the trees on the far shore were in fall colors, or if there was at least a more pleasing shoreline, the first image would be the way to go. As it is, I think it is a little too "blah", making me prefer the second image. However, in the first image there is no question that the subject is the downed tree!
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

I prefer the 2nd one with the sky. I think that's a better crop/non-crop. On my monitor the highllights on the tree are a bit bright. other than that looks fine.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

I like the second better, it opens up and makes sense to me in the second, sort of. lol.

The harsh light I think hurts the overall quality of the image, while very well exposed, focused and composed, I think it would have made a huge difference if you shot this exact scene and set up right before sunset. Can you revisit this scene?

I think the mountains give more of a sense of place and a better "story".

I like the second one. The little bit of sky helps some.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

A different time of day would help a lot but you have to work with what you have. Try tinting for a warmer look.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

greg,
    I'll suggest the second one, in b&w

GB1

Ken - So true! This would probably be a nice Fall colors location, and it's only about three hours from my house, so it's doable. Yes, seems 'technically correct' to me, but the first one lacks pizazz. The 2nd's a little better.

Liban, Thanks, it seems everyone likes the wider view. (This is one of the reasons I got my Full Frame D700 camera: couldn't live w/o the wide angles.)

Anbesol, as mentioned above, it's about three hours away. This place is about a 40 minute hike from where we camped so one can certainly make it there at sunrise w/o any special arrangements.

Roger, here's one slightly warmer. Make any difference? I'm nut sure it really changes it in a substantial way ( and if I bump up the orange too much it will look fake).

Armando - here's your suggested B&W version. Not sure if I like it, but it does look a lot different.

Thanks too Arne and Greg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Downed Tree-dsc_1954_800.jpg   Downed Tree-dsc_1954_bw_800.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thread Information