Downed Tree

Printable View

• 05-27-2011, 06:52 PM
    GB1
    Downed Tree
    in the water!

Which, if either? Convention wisdom says to keep it opened up and include the nice mountains, but personally I'm finding a better photo when I crop off the top (and a little off the bottom). Comments?

G

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...C_1954_811.jpg

http://gallery.photographyreview.com..._1954_1000.jpg
  • 05-27-2011, 10:20 PM
    ksbryan0
    Re: Downed Tree
    G, I think if the trees on the far shore were in fall colors, or if there was at least a more pleasing shoreline, the first image would be the way to go. As it is, I think it is a little too "blah", making me prefer the second image. However, in the first image there is no question that the subject is the downed tree!
  • 05-28-2011, 12:06 AM
    LeeIs
    I prefer the 2nd one with the sky. I think that's a better crop/non-crop. On my monitor the highllights on the tree are a bit bright. other than that looks fine.
  • 05-28-2011, 03:13 PM
    Anbesol
    I like the second better, it opens up and makes sense to me in the second, sort of. lol.

The harsh light I think hurts the overall quality of the image, while very well exposed, focused and composed, I think it would have made a huge difference if you shot this exact scene and set up right before sunset. Can you revisit this scene?
  • 05-28-2011, 04:59 PM
    arne saknussen
    I think the mountains give more of a sense of place and a better "story".
  • 05-28-2011, 05:14 PM
    Greg McCary
    I like the second one. The little bit of sky helps some.
  • 05-29-2011, 03:07 PM
    readingr
    A different time of day would help a lot but you have to work with what you have. Try tinting for a warmer look.

Roger R.
  • 05-29-2011, 05:58 PM
    armando_m
    greg,
    I'll suggest the second one, in b&w
  • 05-29-2011, 07:25 PM
    GB1
    2 Attachment(s)
    Ken - So true! This would probably be a nice Fall colors location, and it's only about three hours from my house, so it's doable. Yes, seems 'technically correct' to me, but the first one lacks pizazz. The 2nd's a little better.

Liban, Thanks, it seems everyone likes the wider view. (This is one of the reasons I got my Full Frame D700 camera: couldn't live w/o the wide angles.)

Anbesol, as mentioned above, it's about three hours away. This place is about a 40 minute hike from where we camped so one can certainly make it there at sunrise w/o any special arrangements.

Roger, here's one slightly warmer. Make any difference? I'm nut sure it really changes it in a substantial way ( and if I bump up the orange too much it will look fake).

Armando - here's your suggested B&W version. Not sure if I like it, but it does look a lot different.

Thanks too Arne and Greg.