Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Jordan Produce

GB1

Jordan Produce

El Paso, Texas. Big time cropping on this one, sure to upset some with the clipped text. Just experimenting :idea:

GB

Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Jordan Produce

I want to like this photo really bad - but I am struggling with the subject of the photo. I am not sure that a storefront by itself draws enough attention. I actually really like the payphone as they seem to be rare these days ...but if that was the subject a different angle may have worked better.

GB1

Yep LLEW, I see what you mean. No one object stands out as the subject, though there are multiple supporting objects of interest, like the telephone, signs/banners, door, etc. If there was someone in the photo then that may have added an interesting twist... Don't know!

El Paso has some neat old time architecture and hole-in-the-wall joints, but it seems that timing it right may require staking out a position w/ your camera (much like sitting in a deer stand all day) and snapping away most of the day. If that doesn't get you arrested as a psycho (sigh...)

G

My Site

I'd actually like to see this one cropped in 300% more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jordan Produce-gb_tortas.jpg  

GB this one would be better with softer light and a human element. But as is I wish you could have panned slightly more right with more space for the mail box and excluding the writing on the left. I seems a bit soft too. I agree just another element and you would have a nice street shot.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

GB1

Great idea Jet! I didn't notice that crop even after playing with it for ten plus minutes.

Greg, agree on the lighting, but you take what you can get. A problem with vacation photography is that if there's 100 subjects to shoot, you can't shoot them all at sunrise or sunset in three days. There's really nothing over there on the right, but I will post the full image when I get home tonight. I already cropped this shot about 30+ %.

You think it's soft? I was actually pretty happy how sharp it was. I just got a Photoshop World magazine in the mail and its cover shot looks razor sharp. Matter of fact most all photos in magazines look that sharp. Is there something about offset printing that makes an image look sharper...??? a trick they're apply? Hm.

G

My Site

Sometimes that 'sharpness' can be achieved only by upgrading your equipment, lol. You can only produce a certain level of sharpness dictated by your lens and size of image plane, and no amount of talent can work around that. I know my 100mm f/2.8 is the sharpest lens in my bag, and the 400mm f/5.6 is the softest. No matter what I do, I can never achieve the same level of sharpness from my 400mm that I can from my 100mm. The only "trick" about it, is maximizing the equipment that you do have.

As far as the image goes, I like Jets crop idea. On the original, the left wall cuts off half of the words, killing that side of the image. Same thing as the top, though to a lesser extent.

I def like the whole thing the way it is, although Jims crop suggestion would be strong and an entirley different shot. You already said this was a big crop so i doubt that could work here. Love the colors and the signs and writing. All I can say for this is the image is not quite sharp and that hurts somewhat.
    Some aggresive sharpening should help. I think it has a lot going for it.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Sometimes that 'sharpness' can be achieved only by upgrading your equipment, lol. You can only produce a certain level of sharpness dictated by your lens and size of image plane, and no amount of talent can work around that. I know my 100mm f/2.8 is the sharpest lens in my bag, and the 400mm f/5.6 is the softest. No matter what I do, I can never achieve the same level of sharpness from my 400mm that I can from my 100mm. The only "trick" about it, is maximizing the equipment that you do have.

As far as the image goes, I like Jets crop idea. On the original, the left wall cuts off half of the words, killing that side of the image. Same thing as the top, though to a lesser extent.
    Anbesol - I agree that lens quality is a big part of it. But after looking at some many many magazines over the years, I can't believe that every one of those photographers has super-high quality (and expensive) lenses. That's just impossible. There just seems to be something more to it; what, I do not know I need to figure this one out because I'm really curious ..

Not sure I agree that clipping the text kills it. Conventionally that is true, but it can create more mystery w/ the text clipped, assuming it isn't important that the viewer read it as part of the image. One of those 'break the rules' after you know them things maybe.

Thanks for the info
    G

My Site

GB1

Thanks Gary. It was a bit image.. Here is what I had. Also, here's Jet's crop though I took a little more off the bottom as that hides the not-so-great angle / vanishing point issue. It is really soft now

G

My Site

The first is awesome as is. Love the colors and processing. Who gives a crap about the clipped text? Really...

Thread Information