Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    learning member

Don't Get Out Much!

Hello again, Thanks in advance for those who look, and more thanks to those who post.
    1, A weak busy subject, but I just love the morning light. the trees form a natural arbor to beyond the backyard of my friends house.3
    3, Its over sharpened and I didn't straighten horizon. I love the subjects(when they're not trying to eat my camera).
    2, This is an extreme crop! The pixels are showing! The bg was horrendous. I lke the expression and catchlights! "Gracie" has a beautifull woodgrain face. I am surpprised that the details held up so well.
    I know they're not great, I don't get out much!
    Mark.
    Last edited by mdmc; 04-10-2007 at 02:42 AM.

Re: Don't Get Out Much!

Hi,
    I like the first shot very much. It is moody and the lighting is soothing. The chair in the centre enhances the image a lot.
    yoyo

I agree with yoyo, that first picture has a fantastic mood and feel to it. The haze and the slightly out of focus branches convey the scene very well, and the light in the meadow beyond draws us towards it

nice shot

chris
    "Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement"

Nikon Samurai #16

I agree with yoyo and shrapnel, that first one is fantastic.

I like the dog image, you may want to play around with the composition on him, maybe try a tight crop and also further out, also try using a macro setting if you arent already

As for the goat images, not Baa-aad, but be careful on the tilt, also experiment with different framing/cropping of the goats.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

I love the last one. The DOF is great, the colors work, and I love the subject matter!

Great shooting,

Jared

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I too love the mood of the first image. I also like the 3rd image all tho, as you said, it has been oversharpened. I have been guilty of that many times myself. I'm not sure what I think about the photo of Gracie. She had beautiful colors and marking in her face and I would love to see more of her.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

learning member

yoyo, I'm glad that you like this shot. the chair is actually part of an old fence. thank you for posting.

Chris, Glad that you like it, and thank you for telling me why.

Mr. Yuck, Thank you for the compliment on the first one. I will be taking many more pics of the animals. glad you like the dog.

Jared, glad you like the last one, It lost the wide angle feel because it's cropped. Thanks for posting and the enthusiasum.

Michael, glad you like 1and 3, Ithink you'll appreciate 2 when you see the original. As for over sharpening, well, after playing with an image for awhile without really undestanding what I'm doing, i say good or bad i quit! You'll see more of the dog. thank you for posting.

I'm going to post the originals of the animals. I think you may be surpprised by the size of the dog image.
    Again, thank you all for looking and posting,
    Mark.

lost in the plot.

i absolutely LOVE the first shot. i actually gave a verbal "oohhhhh" when i saw it. i LOVE the feel of it. the last two dont convey much to me....but theyre nice in their own right.
    erin r.

'on the subway we feel like strangers - but we're all in this together'

learning member

The originals, resize only,2&3.
    Now you can see why I cropped the dog so tight. I posted it to show how well the image held up.
    Mark.
    D70 18-70mm lens.
    Last edited by mdmc; 04-10-2007 at 02:42 AM.

learning member

Quote Originally Posted by vivatornado
    i absolutely LOVE the first shot. i actually gave a verbal "oohhhhh" when i saw it. i LOVE the feel of it. the last two dont convey much to me....but theyre nice in their own right.
    Wow! thank you! Thats very nice to hear. Welcome to everyday Indiana!
    Mark.

I agree with previous posts. The first one is perfect and worthy of hanging on the wall in 16x20 format. Lovely image. I'm envious.

learning member

Thank you AA20D,
    Quite a compliment from you! I have just reviewed you're posts and just love all of you're pics!
    BTW, when are you going to post review of 580EX? lol.
    Mark.
    P.S Please post some more pics soon!

Thank you in return for the compliment. I try not to get caught up too much in giving equipment reviews. Each photographer has their own needs for certain types of equipment. I can tell you this, the 580EX, in MY opinion for MY style of shooting, is the perfect flash. Its capabilities as a fill-flash are just outstanding. It balances the exposure quite well. I'm very impressed. Now as soon as I say that someone will follow right behind and bash the 580EX's performance. I try to leave the equip reviews to the professionals who can test in a controlled environment as well as have the time to devote to a dedicated review. I have too many other hobbies going on at the same time.

Thread Information