Av mode
    hand held
    flash off
    white balance set to tungsten

shutter speed 1/4 second
    f stop 4.0
    exposure compensation -1.0
    if I remember correctly ISO 100 or 200

This is the first shot I am happy with out of the new 450D - entirely not the camera's fault. I was trying to follow the rule when shooting stills or something you want to get huge detail out of, use the lower ISOs. it was either 100 or 200 I was getting lots of camera shake hand held. I have a tripod but was too lazy to bust it out.

exposure compensation I just started to figure out how to use. the cat stayed for about 100 pictures in this pose, I was playing with everything from the isos to the flash to the aperature, trying to manual focus at points, playing with the white balance.

shot in raw, zero editing other than to transfer to .jpg.

Anyone have any tips on editing this with the Canon software, or comments in general? Maybe just take some stuff out of the background like the computer chair legs?

Very pleased with the capabilties of this camera. the mode to shoot multiple exposure compensations is cool.
  • 11-05-2008, 11:03 PM
    95PGTTech
    Re: Done Bothering Me?
    added watermark
    changed white balance to automatic, of all things had the best results
    cranked the sharpness through the roof
    played with contrast and color saturation but ended up changing nothing

now the picture looks most accurate to what I was seeing with the naked eye

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t..._03961copy.jpg
  • 11-06-2008, 03:21 AM
    danic
    Gotta say I really like the second photo. You have self-critiqued well!

There seems to be a touch of over-exposure in the cats face and paw. Otherwise I can't add too much more. Well done!
  • 11-06-2008, 05:27 AM
    95PGTTech
    Over exposed, meaning too bright? Should I do a little more exposure compensation during the shoot or try and spot edit it post production?
  • 11-06-2008, 08:38 AM
    PhoebeG
    The second one looks great. Nice photo. I don't think you'd want to use the exposure compensation since its pretty dark already in some areas. If you think you need to adjust the brightness on the face and paw, I'd try something pp.

Phil G.
  • 11-06-2008, 01:46 PM
    danic
    Maybe use select the area in photoshop and "dodge" the area. It's a bit of a nitpick though.
  • 11-06-2008, 03:05 PM
    Nick McC
    The easiest ways (afaik) would be to either dodge or quick mask.
  • 11-06-2008, 04:06 PM
    Shooter Tiff
    1 Attachment(s)
    The colours in the second one are great. I love the eye contact and the sharpness in the eyes. Do be careful throwing so much sharpening in, you will get artifacts when you zoom in.
    My opinion would be for a crop to get rid of that table leg. says on your signature that you don't mind if I edit... so here's my crop suggestion.
  • 11-06-2008, 11:25 PM
    95PGTTech
    Yeah I like that a lot better.