Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Loitering

Seb

Loitering

Comments are welcome

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:45 PM.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Loitering

I think this is a pretty powerful image, Seb.
    Light on face is pretty harsh but I'm not sure it doesn't fit the nature of the shot.
    Was it candid or set up?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Looks to me as if the owner of the building is pretty fed up after another blast of vandalism to his investment. So I feel the building and the grafitti play a leading part here just as much as the man. Thats how it comes accross to me Seb; I am not getting any sense of menace or anything like that (if that was what is intended) other than the nocturnal feel.
    The shadow is very strong here. I think you used this model on many of your shots but I always find that he lacks a body language and animation in the given situations. Then again that is possibly the way you wish it to be and that is fine.
    Last edited by Overbeyond; 05-21-2007 at 11:02 AM.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

The lighting this time is much better. I don't feel that it's to harsh. If you are going for a scary mood I think that the scene is just to clean. The graffiti looks almost out of place to me, almost staged for the picture. But I am sure you didn't put it there.LOL
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I see a metaphor in the shadow and graffiti.

The graffiti is on the building but passes through the man's shadow or soul in blood red.

PSA: "Vandalism in your town equals Vandalism of the people."

Whoah.....ok, you can stop snickering at me now. It's just how the photo made me feel.

Thanks for sharing this great photo Seb.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Seb

Frog: That was a setup! The lighting was more under control mostly by way of post-processing but future pictures should have this issue solved. I am becoming more at ease with the flash. Thanks.

Overbeyond: That one isn't supposed to be spooky lol. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Greg: Nop! I don't have an airbrush kit in my camera bag!! Thanks

Manacsa: That's an interesting take. I must say that I didn't went that far in my thinking.

Seb

Seb, i like the lighting, the nocturnal mood, and the shadow of the subject against the graffiti wall. i agree with Toms points about the subject not having much body language.
    I like your framing of thebuilding and placement of the subject/man.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

You could make it look more finished by straightening and cropping--leaving only the bare wall and the man.

Thread Information