Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Valletta Night

Valletta Night

The blown highlights piss me off in this one. Anything else piss you off? lol

No, I didn't shoot Raw.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Re: Valletta Night

As the photo was loading, I saw the text first, and I thought to myself "How bad can the highlights be?" Then I saw the photo....:blush2:

Even if you had shot RAW, I'm not sure you would have recovered anything from it. Personally, I tend to over-expose my night photography myself and it usually works out. I guess not this time.

look on the bright side (excuse the pun), it's nicely composed
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I like the composition, but you're right about the highlights. They keep grabbing my attention. It also looks like the image could be straightened a little bit as well. Other than that, I think it's a nice shot, and a location I would go back to and do a reshoot if you can.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

:lol: My photochramics just turned black from the glare :lol:

Where is this, looks lovely.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

PRB

What a beautiful place to "almost" get the shot. I would be angry and frustrated too. Just keep on keeping on... there will be other pretty nightscapes that you will nail, and then, we will really get our undies in a bundle. :wink5:

My Best to You,
    Penny
    My love for others is NOT conditional on their meeting my standards.

Thanks guys!

Roger, this is Valletta, the capital of Malta.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Havana Cuba Photography

That will teach me not to read the title .

Last night I was sure that you could recover some of the blown out areas.

Method I used: Create a new layer and pasted it with a 18% grey.
    Changed the blend mode to overlay
    then used the eraser brush and deleted everything except the blown out areas
    Then reduced the eraser to 3% opacity and brushed the blown out areas until I liked the effect.

Try it and see what you think.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thanks Roger, I'll give that a go!
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

Thread Information