Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Senile Member

Disguised oil refinery and lifeguard tower

I think they did a great job of disguising this, it almost looks like something you'd want to have closeby. I've also included a shot of a lifeguard tower that is not far away for your thoughts, aside from the obvious (its not level) what do you think?

I don't know what happened to me yesterday I could not keep the camera level to save my live, and no I was not drinking
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: Disguised oil refinery and lifeguard tower

I really like the shot of the oil refinery although I would've like to have seen a little more of them. The colors are very pleasing to the eye and these huge structures are often times eyesores.
    The lifeguard tower is also interesting as it doesn't look typical, but I find that it is not as strong a shot.
    ~Nina~

I agree with Nina. Seeing a looser crop of the first one would be great, and the last one is just not enough to hold my intrest.

Interesting shots (and colors)

Jared

The first shot is very nice with the colors. With the second shot, I would like it more colorful, not so gray. And move in closer to the tower. The branch is in the way. A shot with potential.

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Senile Member

Thanks for the feedback, you've given me some things to work on for the next time I go out shooting. Much appreciated!

see.... I knew you'd have fabulous colors to display ;)
    I like these! I agree I'd like to see mor of the towers... I am not too sure how I feel on all of the shadows cast on them however. They seem distracting, but at the same time I find them interesting.
    I love the lifeguard tower and would like to see it without the branch ... and more vivid on the color.
    Great job! Keep at it!
    Rebekah
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Bajan
    I think they did a great job of disguising this, it almost looks like something you'd want to have closeby. I've also included a shot of a lifeguard tower that is not far away for your thoughts, aside from the obvious (its not level) what do you think?

I don't know what happened to me yesterday I could not keep the camera level to save my live, and no I was not drinking
    Hello Bajan,

These are interesting pictures.

I like the first one but I found the lower part to be a little busy. Here is my take (I hope you don't mind) on your picture. Other than cropping the lower part (in a conventional 4x6 ratio) I have made some perspective correction and slightly boosted color saturation.
    What do you think about it.

The second picture look good to me but the tree is on the way as it was already said.
    This one would be great without the tree and with an hint of a sun ray on the beach. Your composition is strong though.

regards

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Senile Member

Rebekah:

Yeah i was hiding my true colors. I was shooting these with a Lumix FZ20K but I've got a Nikon D100 on the way and will be taking more digital pics and in color when it gets here, I tend to use my film stuff for b/w and take alot more time for composition there and usually shoot 3 times as many pics, I used to just stuff the digicam in the bag but will get it out more.

Seb:

Thanks for the assistance, I don't mind if you crop it chop it or do whatever thats what we are here for to learn and learn from each other. I'd like to know what tools you used (and recommend) for digital editing? The pic has improved greatly!

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Bajan

Seb:

Thanks for the assistance, I don't mind if you crop it chop it or do whatever thats what we are here for to learn and learn from each other. I'd like to know what tools you used (and recommend) for digital editing? The pic has improved greatly!

Hello Bajan. I hope/think that you will enjoy the D100. Have you picked an used one? I am asking this as the D100 as been outhere for quite a long while. There is no evidence that Nikon will replace it in the short run but this is a relatively "old" digital SLR at that point in time (still a good tool though....).

About your question. I work with Photoshop Element 2 (a reduced version of
    Photoshop 7). That is all I have right now. I'll be purshasing the Mac version of Photoshop CS2 within few weeks though...... The tweaks that I have done to your picture are truly simple. First of all I used the crop tool (Image>Crop, set in a ratio of 6x4) to crop the lower part of the picture where there was grass and few things. Then, I pushed the color saturation from +25 pts but brought back the yellow channel to its original value as I felt there was a yellow cast to the image (Enhance>Adjust Color>Hue/saturation).
    Finally I streched the right corner to level the tanks (Image>Transform>Skew).

regards

Seb

Hi! The colors and composition in your first shot are fabulous. I do like Sebs crop also... makes the most of your pic. The beach scene has great potential with a little work. I dont even mind the branch that much.. But oh what a beautiful spot! You're work is good.
    Kit
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Senile Member

Seb:

I know it is a little dated but I purchased a new one because it really had the mix of features I wanted, I like a cam with some size to it or I would have purchased the 20D. I also like the feature that you can have a battery grip with shutter release etc on it unlike the D70. In any event you can get a good picture from just about anything I'll work with it.

I recently upgraded my film cam to a Elan 7NE which is also great but I have for the last 18 years shot with an Olympus OM1 which still works to this day and I get some damn good shots out of it (if i do say so myself).

Thanks for the tips on the tools I'll have to get the software and get some experience with it.

J

Thread Information