Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Scissor-tailed flycatcher #001

I shot this picture this past Sunday using my new EOS 20D and EF 100-400 IS lens. I was pleased that I was actually able to get close to them as in the past they have always stayed far enough away that I would have to REALLY crop to get a shot like this.

Just to add a little more information about this one. When I spotted him he was out in a field beyond a barbed-wire fence. I walked off the trail I was on and up to the fence to take the shot. Let me tell you that I have never seen as many mosquitoes as I saw while I was trying to get a picture of this guy. There were literally hundreds covering me even though I had a very large amount of DEET on me. I even had them biting the inside of my nose if you can believe that. Overall I think it was worth it as I really love these flycatchers.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scissor-tailed flycatcher #001-stflycatcher1.jpg  

Re: Scissor-tailed flycatcher #001

I think this is a great shot that would benefit from a visit to curves as it's very flat at the moment. Also a crop to take the bird from the central position would improve the composition I feel. Beautiful background etc.
    Fred...

For me the focus of the image is already off center and I do very much like the yellow color from the flowers on the left side of the image. I wonder what exactly you would do in curves, maybe if you could show me an example that would help.

Thanks,

Greg

Ultimately any critique is subject to personal preference. What I see as desirable you may not. Anyway this is how I would have finished this image off.
    Fred...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scissor-tailed flycatcher #001-stflycatcher1-22.jpg  

I think you are right, the curves did help. Here's my version.

Thanks,

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scissor-tailed flycatcher #001-img_0001-web.jpg  

Nice picture, it the coloring is good and its like softer now since u messed with the curves
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

Thread Information