Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Dark humor. . . lick bush

The opinions here may, or may not, represent those of the photographer.
    Anyway, hows about this.
    Thanks
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: Dark humor. . . lick bush

That's awesome!! It could be a punk band cover! I love your compostion, and textures. The speaker in the opposite corner gives a good balance IMO.
    Last edited by payn817; 03-27-2006 at 12:45 PM.

Talk about a range of subjects here! I love the political slogan, the texture, and the random speaker (?). The tones fit perfectly, and I even love the painted over fish bowls. Great shot and one of my favourite from you recently,

Jared

Hello Gary
    The composition/sentiment is more than ambiguous and the drain plug-like vent in the bottom corner could be interpreted in many ways but photographically I feel it is missing that little bit of colour variation that I think would give it a big lift. Are these the colours as seen Gary?
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Nice composition Gary,

But, I think the political message may kind of kill this as being an image to show in a portfolio or something.

Is this a crop (or can it be re-shot)? I think that's an attractive wall that warrants a study. I also think it would fit with your current theme. My suggestion would be to back up a little and place the graffiti off center so that it would be more of a composition of shapes (with subtle color)... oh, and there is a little message in it too.

BR,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Thanks for the comments.Actually, this was taken late in the night with lighting from a bright street lamp. The wall is brick that had been painted over with white paint, but has alot of grime and grit. The original picture has a color cast and is very dull. I corrected the color with a gray point adjustment and the colors here are very much how i remember it from the time, although it was not quite as bright.
    As always, I appreciate all your suggestions and responses.
    Thanks

gary

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    The opinions here may, or may not, represent those of the photographer.
    Anyway, hows about this.
    Thanks
    Gary, I think that it looks terrific from a purely visual point of view. The mix of colours, shapes and textures is dead on. Then there is the message which may disturb or not. Personally, I have no issue with it but I could understand that some people are uncomfortable about it.

Seb

This didn't strike me as a political statement at first, simply because "blondie" being the signature. The first thing to my mind was the pop/punk band Blondie, and the "lick bush" came acroos in another "bush" (Go ahead CLKunst, I deserve it). I think that takes this image to another level, because it has different meanings to different people. I saw it as a reflection of society in a way different time while some see it as being more recent.

Either way, I am not offended, and like it very much. With what I know of "Blondie" I think they would dig it too, although more likely in the same manner which I saw it.

Was this done outside a drive thru of some sort?

Thanks guys. Seb, glad to hear your take on this.
    Payn817. . I thought of the punk band Blondie as well initially, but in these times I also knew the political interpretation would be strong here too. I have no idea how long this message has been there, and it might have provided some clue as to it's true meaning. Either way, I guess alot of folks will be divided by both interpretations. This is from the side of a building that has a store on the street level and apartments above. The Grill is a cover for a vent that comes out of the wall,most likely sewer drain vent.
    thanks again

gary

Gary......I think it would have been a fabulous cover for a Blondie album. Provided of course, she had a song called "Lick Bush" on it. ;)
    John

This has a lot of character and I love the composition. As for the political/suggestive message, I'd take either meaning! LOL! I love the ambiguity frankly!
    Marty in Central Illinois - The Land of Corn and Flatness!

Thread Information