Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Dark chocolate...

I took this on a trip to the Cadbury Chocolate Factory and loved the sign and the way it sits at the top of the factory, almost ominously. It seemed almost dark, which is whyI went for the look I have. Comments and thought and technical advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Dark chocolate...

I think you captured the mood quite well.

Great control of the clouds. Its not easy with a shot like this not to blow out areas. And if Aging Eyes gives you a nice review on a b&w conversion you know you did well.
    Did you clone something above the sign? It looks like is see duplicating patterns? Easy t fix.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes View Post
    I think you captured the mood quite well.
    Thank you for the kind reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Great control of the clouds. Its not easy with a shot like this not to blow out areas. And if Aging Eyes gives you a nice review on a b&w conversion you know you did well.
    Did you clone something above the sign? It looks like is see duplicating patterns? Easy t fix.
    You're not the first person to mention the clouds. Strangely enough, there was no cloning at all on the clouds, it's just how they were. It looks though i'll have to clone it to make it look uncloned. Although I took several shots with different cloud patterns as at that angle they move fast, so i'll try another sky asap and repost. Thanks.

alternate sky, sort of. Hope this is better for you guys.

In this case I think the title, subject and your composition all work well together to bring us the dark ominous mood and to think of Dark chocolate
    The clouds worked well in the original and also look fine in your edit too, so for me either way would work.

My only nitpik would be its a bit too contrasty and can benefit from a little less.

Very nicely done, all around.
    Last edited by gahspidy; 12-09-2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured Photo. December 9th, 2011
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy View Post
    In this case I think the title, subject and your composition all work well together to bring us the dark ominous mood and to think of Dark chocolate
    The clouds worked well in the original and also look fine in your edit too, so for me either way would work.

My only nitpik would be its a bit too contrasty and can benefit from a little less.

Very nicely done, all around.
    Many thanks for the reply and compliments. Most appreciated. The contrast is a funny one as in I agree with you it looks nice soft, but I felt that most would appreciate it with more contrast as it's mono. I don't always think that mono has to have high contrast and true deep black and pale white in every mono image. But it's what folk like to see...I think!

GB1

This is a really neat shot. It's almost geometrically perfect too, though if you examine it closely you will see a slight amt of barrel distortion on the top of the building/sign: you can fix this using Photoshop's Lens Distortion tool. I would like it even more if that right side was flat at the top like the left, but still a great shot. Exposure is perfect, is it an HDR? You may not need those in Britain so much, for the sky is often overcast which reduces contrast.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Great B&W and PoV, congrats on feature.
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    This is a really neat shot. It's almost geometrically perfect too, though if you examine it closely you will see a slight amt of barrel distortion on the top of the building/sign: you can fix this using Photoshop's Lens Distortion tool. I would like it even more if that right side was flat at the top like the left, but still a great shot. Exposure is perfect, is it an HDR? You may not need those in Britain so much, for the sky is often overcast which reduces contrast.

Many thanks for the reply. It's part HDR and part layer blending. Had a real tough time with the lens correction and distortion correction as with the straight lines, everything shows up, so i'll have another play. Thanks.

The dramatic element in the picture is the sky. Was there an opportunity to move back and include more sky in the picture - perhaps 2/3 sky vs the 1/3 in your shot. I'd also like to see it with dark sky/lighter building. I wonder whether the ominous mood would be strengthened by the contrast.

MB1

It is a great photograph and your title makes it just that much better.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Quote Originally Posted by popeyethesailor View Post
    The dramatic element in the picture is the sky. Was there an opportunity to move back and include more sky in the picture - perhaps 2/3 sky vs the 1/3 in your shot. I'd also like to see it with dark sky/lighter building. I wonder whether the ominous mood would be strengthened by the contrast.

I did take a shot with more sky, but it will take me some time to process it so I will try and post soon. Thanks.
    Please have a look and leave a comment or three...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46180527@N03/sets/

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
    It is a great photograph and your title makes it just that much better.
    Many thanks!
    Please have a look and leave a comment or three...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46180527@N03/sets/

Thanks!!!

Thread Information