Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Rusty

Rusty

Hello everyone, this is my first post, just looking for some feedback on some photos as I as I am just starting out doing photography. Any comments or critiques/suggestions are more than welcome. This picture is just some piece of metal stuck on the side of a barn WAY out in the country. Thanks everyone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rusty-img_0339.gif  

Re: Rusty

Eoky,

Good first shot and welcome to the boards. I love the potential for this, as I think the texture between the wood and the rust is a great combination. My few nitpicks would be, firstly, is that just discoloration underneath the rust? Though I think it adds some contrast, it just doesn't work for me as is. That being said, I think a less tight crop might help that out a bit, but I am a renowned () minimalist in my shots so that just might be my biasedness coming through.

Nice to see you posting and hope you enjoy the forums,

Jared

Hey thanks a lot Jared, I appreciate any constructive criticism that I can get. I really want to become good at this, because I really enjoy the heck out of it. with that been said, let me have it everyone

Quote Originally Posted by eoky
    Hey thanks a lot Jared, I appreciate any constructive criticism that I can get. I really want to become good at this, because I really enjoy the heck out of it. with that been said, let me have it everyone
    Great attitude and you'll learn a helluva lot with that type of mindset.

Good luck,

Jared

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I'd like to see it in portrait format, if that rust staining extends down the wood further, and fades out as it gets farther away, it should look great.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Digitally Challenged - Bonkers Kaelastreet's Avatar

Hey!
    May I comment as a self confessed not very clever photgrapher, I like the picture because:-
    1) It asks questions, what is it?
    2) Why is it there?
    3) Why has it been there for so long?
    4) How did you find it?

These are the reasons why I like the picture.
    Its a composition that does not offend me or cause to me to be critical, I don't have to think about the picture as I am basically, like a lot of folks, lazy.
    I like the colours, the balance, the whole thing. I could use your picture to write a short story.
    Hope this helps.

Kizz

I really like the mystery of the shot. As Kaelastreet says, I want to know what that old can lid's function is. My guess is some sort of air vent. Farmers have always had a way of adapting cast off materials at hand to do the job at hand. It's amazing all the things they can do with baling twine for example. Documenting things of this nature would be a fun project.
    I think that I would crop off most of the siding to the right of the can lid and leave just the great textures and colors of the rest.
    ----------------------------

A texture and shape shot with an interesting centre of interest. The orange rust on the metal and on the wood links the two together, but I agree with a few who have indicated that the shot is a little too tight at the bottom. The holes in the metal also link with the holes in the wood. A tad more exposure might heighten the texture and increase the contrast, but overall it works very well.

Ronnoco

Hey, thanks a LOT everyone, I appreciate the honest feedback.

Eoky,

I agree with a portrait format and also pull back a bit to give more of a context for the photo.

Also be carefull of the shadow that is appearing in the top left from a roof overhang or something when you pull back. Hope your going to re-take this and re-post.

Now what is it and why is it there?

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thanks for replying Roger. I couldn't agree more with the idea of pulling back. Whatever that thing is, is taking up a HUGE part of the frame. Didn't even notice the shadow, good eye. Yeah I'll retake it one day, its WAY out in the country (another state actually). I wish I could tell you what is was. At first, it wasn't a photo op, it just confused me. Thanks again everyone, you guys are VERY helpful.

Thread Information