Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Curves

Curves

Didnt get this shot straight on but I liked it...Anyone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Curves-img_0680.jpg  

Re: Curves

I see what you were going for and it's a worthy subject, but I think I'd crop this WAY down and use it as an abstract (maybe the bottom left 25% or less). I'd lose the sidewalk / tree / second floor / bricks on left - leaving the white frame grill and fire hose hookup. These are the only important items in the photo, the rest seems to detract more than it adds.

GB1

Hmm. This is a paradox, because I do like the bottom design and the way the tree sort of cuts across there. Even the way it cuts across the top window area.. there's something about it's lines. But this is all from an abstract perspective. Looking at it wrt composition, the elements, and sharpness, I think it's not quite there. I guess there's not enough in the overall picture to say what is happening here or what warrants a photo of it. But still ... there are some nice lines.
    G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Here is a crop...Work Jetrim?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Curves-img_0679.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Hexnut

I do like the crop

The crop with the graffiti ads more character. I almost want to see more of the "curves" though

The window frame needs straightening. The angle of the shot ruins the composition. I have taken the lioberty below (sorry).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Curves-img_0680a.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Hexnut
    It works very well. I didn't know you had more room on the left, and upon reflection, I think I agree w/ GB that the tree adds a nice counterbalance to the rigid geometry of the grill.

Here's something I came up with out of the original, but I think if you added the graffiti it would be even better.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like this crop but with the graffiti as suggested. Interesting structure. Shame on the tagger, but it does add the human element to the shot.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

I strongly disagree with the others about the crop. What makes this shot is the way the tree seems to grow out of the pattern of the iron work. The iron takes our eyes and moves them right up into the tree into the rest of the image. The only thing I'd even consider cropping is anything outside the white borders of the facade (I'd want to see the entire original to make the best judgment of the crop).

I agree that the angle/perspective is not great, nor is the sharpness. But the placement of the tree is dead-on perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Curves-img_0680.jpg  
    "Photography as a fad is well-nigh on its last legs, thanks principally to the bicycle craze."

-- Alfred Stieglitz
    The American Annual of Photography, 1897

L.A. Landscapes

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    I strongly disagree with the others about the crop. What makes this shot is the way the tree seems to grow out of the pattern of the iron work. The iron takes our eyes and moves them right up into the tree into the rest of the image. The only thing I'd even consider cropping is anything outside the white borders of the facade (I'd want to see the entire original to make the best judgment of the crop).

I agree that the angle/perspective is not great, nor is the sharpness. But the placement of the tree is dead-on perfect.
    I see what you mean about the tree growing. I don't know what else to add on this one though guys.. The crops have their point, but the original is still a big mystery to me! Somehow it combines urban structure and nature in a very unusual way. It also reminds me of a 60s or 70s futuristic movie, say Fahrenheit 451.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

When I first saw this shot in the gallery...I thought how much I would like it if the tiny part of the red brick on the left was cropped out. I didn't know everyone was discussing it in here since I pretty much stick with just the gallery (yes Larry, I'm worthless). The last crop that Dr.Roebuck did is my favorite..its the way I wanted to see this lovely shot from the beginning.

You guys rule. I'm very appreciative of the comments and the love. I'm inspired by you all.

Good composition. A small correction of the lines falling could be useful
    Last edited by frapuchi; 12-13-2009 at 12:40 AM.
    Ciao dall'Italia-My latest photos :wink5: : http://forums.photographyreview.com/...d=1#post418901
    My gallery on italian forum: :smilewinkgrin: http://www.photo4u.it/album_personal.php?user_id=23886
    You can use my photo for correct mistakes
    NIKON D300S,NIKKOR 18-200,TAMRON 90 MACRO 1:2,8, SIGMA 120/400 4.5/5.6 - COOLPIX S640-Extension tubes-Flash TUMAX 880+ring macro - N° 3 old KONICA A. T - T3 - DARKROOM for B&W and old CIBACROME

Thread Information