Curves

Printable View

• 01-25-2009, 08:01 PM
    Hexnut
    1 Attachment(s)
    Curves
    Didnt get this shot straight on but I liked it...Anyone?
  • 01-25-2009, 08:26 PM
    jetrim
    Re: Curves
    I see what you were going for and it's a worthy subject, but I think I'd crop this WAY down and use it as an abstract (maybe the bottom left 25% or less). I'd lose the sidewalk / tree / second floor / bricks on left - leaving the white frame grill and fire hose hookup. These are the only important items in the photo, the rest seems to detract more than it adds.
  • 01-25-2009, 09:12 PM
    GB1
    Hmm. This is a paradox, because I do like the bottom design and the way the tree sort of cuts across there. Even the way it cuts across the top window area.. there's something about it's lines. But this is all from an abstract perspective. Looking at it wrt composition, the elements, and sharpness, I think it's not quite there. I guess there's not enough in the overall picture to say what is happening here or what warrants a photo of it. But still ... there are some nice lines.
    G
  • 01-25-2009, 09:21 PM
    Hexnut
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here is a crop...Work Jetrim?
  • 01-25-2009, 09:43 PM
    Polishgonewild
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexnut

I do like the crop
  • 01-25-2009, 10:30 PM
    luke802
    The crop with the graffiti ads more character. I almost want to see more of the "curves" though
  • 01-26-2009, 06:36 AM
    Don Schaeffer
    1 Attachment(s)
    The window frame needs straightening. The angle of the shot ruins the composition. I have taken the lioberty below (sorry).
  • 01-26-2009, 07:26 AM
    jetrim
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexnut

It works very well. I didn't know you had more room on the left, and upon reflection, I think I agree w/ GB that the tree adds a nice counterbalance to the rigid geometry of the grill.

Here's something I came up with out of the original, but I think if you added the graffiti it would be even better.
  • 01-26-2009, 09:52 AM
    Shebang
    I like this crop but with the graffiti as suggested. Interesting structure. Shame on the tagger, but it does add the human element to the shot.
  • 01-28-2009, 03:09 AM
    DrRoebuck
    1 Attachment(s)
    I strongly disagree with the others about the crop. What makes this shot is the way the tree seems to grow out of the pattern of the iron work. The iron takes our eyes and moves them right up into the tree into the rest of the image. The only thing I'd even consider cropping is anything outside the white borders of the facade (I'd want to see the entire original to make the best judgment of the crop).

I agree that the angle/perspective is not great, nor is the sharpness. But the placement of the tree is dead-on perfect.
  • 01-28-2009, 08:57 AM
    GB1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    I strongly disagree with the others about the crop. What makes this shot is the way the tree seems to grow out of the pattern of the iron work. The iron takes our eyes and moves them right up into the tree into the rest of the image. The only thing I'd even consider cropping is anything outside the white borders of the facade (I'd want to see the entire original to make the best judgment of the crop).

I agree that the angle/perspective is not great, nor is the sharpness. But the placement of the tree is dead-on perfect.

I see what you mean about the tree growing. I don't know what else to add on this one though guys.. The crops have their point, but the original is still a big mystery to me! Somehow it combines urban structure and nature in a very unusual way. It also reminds me of a 60s or 70s futuristic movie, say Fahrenheit 451. :D
  • 01-28-2009, 09:56 AM
    dana m.
    When I first saw this shot in the gallery...I thought how much I would like it if the tiny part of the red brick on the left was cropped out. I didn't know everyone was discussing it in here since I pretty much stick with just the gallery (yes Larry, I'm worthless). The last crop that Dr.Roebuck did is my favorite..its the way I wanted to see this lovely shot from the beginning.
  • 01-28-2009, 06:38 PM
    Hexnut
    You guys rule. I'm very appreciative of the comments and the love. I'm inspired by you all.
  • 12-12-2009, 11:20 PM
    frapuchi
    Good composition. A small correction of the lines falling could be useful