Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Crystal Myth

Crystal Myth

I hope you're not growing tired of my experiments, but any suggestions are always welcome.
    This time I found some prisms from a lamp and shot them on the good ol' DVD.

Re: Crystal Myth

Great title, great colors. Never tire of your experimental eye. A bit too much negative space to the right of the frame. Could this image have been a sharper?
    Keep on keepin on.

Ed

These shots, at least for me, are very difficult to get sharp. Too much dof, I lose the color, less magnification, I lose the composition. I am hoping to find the "perfect" shot with this process, so till then, they are all experiments.
    Also, I thought about that negative space, but decided I liked the brilliant blue too much to let it go.

n8

Crystal MYTH...I misread that for a second ;) I like the colors and abstraction, although they seem to be a tad soft...unless that's your goal.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

GB1

Good composition.. This one may look even better slightly or half way desaturated.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Nicely done! I really like the colors and facets quite a bit. Stick to your colors and shapes and shoot for "acceptable" sharpness to you. Overall a nice geometric abstract with rich color. :thumbsup: Good composition, great use of shape and color, you're on the right path with this one Arne! Possibility for next experiment; use tweezers and try to arrange crystals close together to get even more facets into the frame. And an equipment consideration, extension tubes will give you the sharpness you're looking for at this range, just a thought.
    Last edited by CLKunst; 05-11-2011 at 04:33 PM.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

The colors and composition is very good but agree it needs something more in focus.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I appreciate the comments. Cindy, I have already done multiple crystals, I believe one is in my gallery. As far as the sharpness goes, here is one that is sharper, but I think it lacks the vitality of the colors and some of the dynamics. It seems I get one element but lose another.

Art is about projecting YOUR ideal vision, not others' ideas for your art. Keep with what makes you like it, refine what you can, the rest of the world will get on board eventually.

I like your second image with the multiple facets quite a bit! Interesting, personally, to see the surface of the crystals even if it's lacking the satuated colors you're shooting for. Although I like the impressionist qualities of the first one, the sharp lines work well too. Try playing with your saturation and contrast sliders a bit and see if it you can't wring some more color out of this one.
    Asheville Photographer

I like the second one better, maybe crop some from the right. Square format. But Cindy is right. Keep raising the bar and please yourself first. I like where you are going with this.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I think, I say, I think, I may have achieved the best of both worlds (color & sharpness). I have been staring at and photographing these images for so long I may lost perspective.

Ding! Now that's working!
    Solid comp., BIG color, excellent texture on the facet from the highlight, sharpness is happening. Everything looks real good! :thumbsup: Great job!
    Asheville Photographer

Thanks, Cindy. And thanks for all the comments. I still think there are miles to go yet, but I like the journey.

Thread Information