Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

View Poll Results: Which composition works best.(Covered Bridge 1 is without the Fence)

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Covered Bridge 1

2 6.90%
  • Covered Bridge 2

27 93.10%

Covered Bridge. . . Poll.

I would like to know which composition you like best, if any, and why.
    thanks. These are two seperate pictures, not a crop of the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Covered Bridge. . . Poll.-covered-bridge-1.jpg   Covered Bridge. . . Poll.-covered-bridge-2.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: Covered Bridge. . . Poll.

Gary,

Your going to hate me for this but neither - I would like to see a little more road bending round to the bridge in the second and a little more room on top of the roof as a preference. For me both are cropped too tightly.

However saying that, I can see why you kept the second tight as there is a sign post or something casting a shadow towards the fence.

The snow looks a little grey on my monitor - however saying that I just got a reminder this morning to recalibrate my monitor, so I could be wrong.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Just on composition alone, #2 is best.
    The inclusion of the fence lines gives your eye an instant line to the bridge.
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Gary, I have voted for number 2 but I feel it could have been bettered had you stood back more to include a fuller sweep of the fence. But looking again I see an ugly metal barrier on the left that might well have intruded too much had you done so. The bit of metal barrier visible could perhaps be "cladded in timber" in PS.
    I like the introduction of the fence from the bottom corner.
    The snow looks fine on my monitor.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

#2, I feel the fence leads the eye into the picture and gives it depth. The modern day guard rails take away from the shot and the more they are not noticed the better and more timeless the shot. The covered bridge I have been trying at has new rails that is why I was trying a night shot. If the road is paved I don't want to see it either. I hope that helps, but #2 is splendid by the way.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I also think #2 is the stronger image for the same reason as Brian.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I like the one with the horse drawn buggy emerging from the bridge, but I had to vote for the one with the fence.

I do like the difference in exposure or post work that gives a bit more interior detail in the first one though.
    ----------------------------

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

# 2...The fence railing in #2 leads the eye into the bridge and gives this image depth..

Jurgen
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Obviously I'm not the only one who liked #2 better Anyway, since there isn't much color in this to begin with, might I suggest converting this to black and white? Just a thought.

#2 for me too, Gary. More of the fence/road would have been nice, but you shot it this way for a reason, which I suspect may have been what others have alluded to--a metal sign or something of that nature. There are a couple of different shades of snow that I can discern. I noticed the snow in the field area is a little darker (greyer) than the snow on top of the bridge. Cloud cover? No matter. This is certainly a spot worth returning to.
    John

I really like the second shot. It pops out at me a lot better than the first. I just have one little nitpick. I don't like the metal rail in the picture. I don't know if you can really do anything about it, but it kind of takes away from the natural feel of things. I wonder if it can be edited out.. :shrugs: Hope I helped some.
    Jason

Thanks all for the time to voice your preferences and offer me your choices.

Roger. . .Thanks for the honest response. I am not too crazy about either one, but was hoping to make something of perhaps the better of the two.

Brian . . .I was leaning towards the second one as well, but I think only because of the potential I saw in it's composition. I don't think it actually came off, though.

Tom . . .Yes, I wish i could have opened it up, but not only an ugly metal barrier, but paved road full of muddy sluch and filthy snow. I think I would have to live nearby and grab the shot on first snowfall when everything is covered and untouched. Oh well, I may try this again in the spring . . . .

Greg . . . thanks for the comments. Yes, there are lots of unwanted elements and "realities" that we try to isolate away from the scenes. This was a tough one for me to pull out of it's ugly surroundings, but glad to know you find it ok nonetheless. I did feel stronger about #2 but am starting to think the "less is more" factor is helping #1 along, for me.

Micheal . . .Glad to know your take on this. Thanks

Chunk . . .You know the way I am. . . I waited for the Horse drawn buggy to leave the scene. . . mistake? I like the detail exposed on the 1st as well, and could most likely get close to that with the 2nd. You know, I felt the 2nd one was better than 1st but I am starting to feel that it is the potential that I see in the 2nd one, but it is not quite there. I am starting to lean to the 1st. The time of day did not help either one, anyway.
    Thanks

Jurgen . . .Thanks for commenting. I'll be darned, #2 is quite the landslide. . .and I'm starting to feel better about #1. I know I like to be different, but this could be rather self defeating lol

molaselake. . .Thanks, I have seen the b&w conversion as it is a step in my overall post process and while it has it's appeal, the lighting here was too harsh and the bridge seems to get "lost" in the image. I may re-work this entirely. . .

John . . . Well, the snow on the bridge was getting hit with direct sunlight while the snow in the field was a bit dingy from the road dust, etc. and absorbed the lighting a bit better.
    Yes, the metal rail and other unwanted elements were pressing me to squeeze the scene in tightly. Looking back, I wish I could have stood back quite a distance and tried compressing the entire scene with a long telephoto lens. I'm wondering if that could have captured an entirely different shot. I'll hopefully get back there in the spring.

Jason . . .Yes, absolutely a help. So, #2 is unanimous. I could tinker with the metal rail
    I think I'm going to re-work both images and possibly run them by the forum again.
    (just warning you . . lol)

gary

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

ha, 18 to 0!

the second really is much better just because of the curves and lines that it has that pulls the viewer in more. I think a lot of us need to take your example and take that second shot. many photos I see are reminiscent of the first photo, when if we just pulled out a bit more and captured more to lead us into the subject, it could be much more exciting.

#2 as well. Another vote for the leading line.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Thanks Brent, and Mr. Yuck.
    Yeah. . . I like the close up of the subject, only because I find it fascinating but admit the composition is stronger with #2.
    I have taken a bit of suggestions from this thread and re edited the #2 photograph. I increased room over the bridge slightly and added a bit more room to the left side fence. also filled in the paved road and uneven snow with a smoother fill of snow. Also added a warmer filter.
    Do you feel it has improved upon it from the original#2?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Covered Bridge. . . Poll.-covered-bridge-2.jpg  

gary

I think the snow on the road looks wonderful, but one rail missing looks a bit odd. I was thinking more on the lines of making the rails old and rusty looking.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Thanks Brent, and Mr. Yuck.
    Yeah. . . I like the close up of the subject, only because I find it fascinating but admit the composition is stronger with #2.
    I have taken a bit of suggestions from this thread and re edited the #2 photograph. I increased room over the bridge slightly and added a bit more room to the left side fence. also filled in the paved road and uneven snow with a smoother fill of snow. Also added a warmer filter.
    Do you feel it has improved upon it from the original#2?
    Much better than either of the originals IMHO.

Just one nit pic and it really mean it is a nit pic. Power line coming across the tree line.

Can I vote for this one.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Number 1 is better in colour and exposure. Even with the fence in number 2, it could be framed better with a less centralized centre of interest and the colour and exposure is weaker and more contrasty.

Ronnoco
    www.photoinf.com

Accepted photo standards in technique and composition are the tools used to judge photo quality.

Thanks for the comments,Greg, Roger, and Ronnoco
    Greg, I agree it looks a bit odd with the fence taken out. I took it out with the intent to add the rest of the wooden one, but did not devote the time as I realized I would be making this basically a rough draft. I will be re-editing this entirely from the RAW file.

Roger, Yes, If I'm going as far as to add smooth snow and reconstruct fences, I might as well remove a small power line or two. lol I will do that on my next go at it.

Ronnoco, I agree with much of your comment. The exposure, and color I imagine is what was drawing me to #1 in the first place. The overall framing of both were not ideal, as there was not much wiggle room to work with. In my next go at #2, I will also be trying to get the exposure and color as close to #1 as I can. Chunk had also touched on that aspect, the exposure, and I agree.

gary

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I had to look at both several times but I ended up with the majority and voted for two.

The only good thing about spammers for me is that they seem to like to hit old posts, thinking we are less likely to notice or something.
    But since their post brings up to the top, I get to see a lot of stuff I missed or stuff I remember and like.
    So thank you estalkece, though I really hope your gone even before anyone sees this post.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

GB1

I definitely prefer the fence, as I like the artistic curve there. This scene has potential - nice house, white snow, etc., but I also find the background a bit unflattering. Alas, you can have everything Looks like West Virginia btw
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

On a recent trip to New England I took many pictures of covered bridges and if I liked any of them I don't remember it. The problem is that most are working bridges and have some "modern" convenience such as the metal railing, a highway sign or some distraction in them. You really have to Photoshop them to make them acceptable (to me). Therefore if you could replace the metal railing with a wood one, they would look good. I really like the snow..
    Horace Best
    Goldsboro, NC

www.hlbest.zenfolio.com

Curved leading line plus "rule of thirds" placement of bridge composition is much better than the "front and center" composition of picture 1

Thread Information