Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    GB1

Convict Lake, Kodachome...

Recently taken at Convict Lake, Ca. This was leaf season.

Unlike the previous shots, these were taken with Kodachrome film. I think I prefer the Fuji since it seemed to have brung out the colors a little better. However, they were also taken at a different part of the lake, as I was hiking the full loop.

GB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Convict Lake, Kodachome...-convictlakefall2006_10_640.jpg   Convict Lake, Kodachome...-convictlakefall2006_6_640.jpg   Convict Lake, Kodachome...-convictlakefall2006_8_640.jpg   Convict Lake, Kodachome...-convictlakefall2006_9_640.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Re: Convict Lake, Kodachome...

beautiful shots GB.

Wow, if these were taken when the others were. What a difference, I love these....
    Greg

I think the comps are very nice, but the foregrounds are a bit too dark while the sky too bright. I tried using the Shadow/highlight tool on your first shot, and some selective coloring for adjusting blacks/nuetrals/and whites. Increased saturation a bit and had a nice looking result. I think you can make more out of these shots by adjusting them in your Photo editing software.
    Also, hard to compare the two films as they are taken from different areas and different lighting etc, but it does seem like the Kodachrome gives a more natural look. Nice work
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

MB1

I like the first one very much. Looking at it I want to squat down just a bit to get more of that nifty sky reflection to move further out into the lake.

Did you use a split ND filter? If not you might try one there to lighten the foreground while keeping that perfect sky exposure.

GB1

Thks for the comments everyone. They are quite different from the Fuji. I was in a different area than the previous shots, but not that far away.

Gary, like you suggested I will need to do some PP on these.

MB, I believe that I did use a graduated ND filter on most of the shots. A few I didnt, but i didnt keep a log on which. w/ the Kodachrome I used a polarizer and that seems to increase contrast. That's too bad, cause a lot was lost here. But to be honest, the colors weren't that great out there... it wasnt like New England or anything. It was getting late though and the overall lighting was not warm I guess I am already making up my reasons to go back and do it again next Oct!

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

I prefer Kodachrome to Fuji but find it more difficult to work with. Fuji tends to handle shade and poor lighting reasonably well but with less contrast, colours that are not as rich, and less resolution and depth. Kodachrome tends to be very contrasty, making shadows darker and with less detail, and often requiring 1/2 to a full stop of overexposure to get the correct lighting balance.

Related to your shots, in this kind of shooting you need to decide whether to expose for the highlights and selectively brighten the dark areas in Photoshop, or expose the dark areas and brighten the sky.

Ronnoco

Thread Information