Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Halloween Pumpkin

Here is his first halloween!
    Do you think the shadows are too much? I need help with lighting issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Halloween Pumpkin-pumpkin.jpg  

Re: Halloween Pumpkin

Lighting has ALWAYS been one of my issues.

I really like your lighting to be honest. The baby is facing the window so we can see the expression beautifully.
    I think your lighting is what you want it to be. I just wouldn't have your lighting directly in front of your subject as some soft shadow, (not harsh shadows like you would get with a direct flash), on the face is better than none.

If you wanted your lighting a little more direct turn your couch right round facing the window then turn it about 45 degrees away in either direction.

I use window light alot as I don't have access to a studio. However I do have tungstens but they are so big and get really hot they're not really suitable with babies around.
    I usually end up taking my kids outside, more room, better backdrops and nice lighting.

A nice bg for more pics of your baby in their pumpkin outfit...and these are just my thoughts...
    your baby sitting in or near a hay field with hay rolls in the bg, or even near an orchard full of apples, black cloth and a basket of apples, these would look really cute and it would complete the look with your baby being a pumpkin

Sometimes I wish my head wasn't buzzing with so many ideas.

I hope I have helped, although, I know I got a bit carried away

This is where a reflector is extremely helpful. You can buy one at a camera store. You can make one from a bed sheet. (There are lots of instructions on the net and in books).
    You can even use a piece of white bristol board to reflect light, even out the shadows and still have a natural look to the overall shot.

Ronnoco

GB1

Except for the column on the upper left I think it's an incredible shot. The lighting certainly doesnt leave me w/ a neutral impression: it's sort of dramatic. But I think it's OK here.
    GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information