Convict Lake

Printable View

• 10-22-2006, 07:19 PM
    GB1
    4 Attachment(s)
    Convict Lake
    Taken at Convict Lake near Mammoth Lakes, CA. It was pretty much at peak leaf season, but the lighting was inconsistent that day with the sun poking out from behind the clouds for very short intervals. I consider that a mixed blessing because although it played havok on the metering, contrasts, and colors, it was nice to not get stuck with the plain ol' blue sky.

Personally I dont see these being winners, but I'm interested in everyone else's' take. :D

(Fuji Velvia Film)

GB
  • 10-22-2006, 07:59 PM
    gahspidy
    Re: Convict Lake
    GB, I think these are all very nice looking scenes, but #2 and #4 are the strongest for me. #2 being what i think is the most compelling, and interesting scene of the bunch. It's dark shadowy tress in the foreground lends to a good contrast as we peek out from them towards the magnificent mountain. It has depth. The #4 I think could benefit from a crop off the bottom to bring the horizon line down from center and also I think a more rectangular landscape framing would work better. Just my feeling. #3 is wonderful in it's colors, but I think there is a bit too much obstructing our view of the mountain, and also the sky is a little hot/bright.#1 is ok, but I think would have been much more with a better lighting. Too bright in the sky. All are not bad, but my fav is #2 and then #4
  • 10-22-2006, 09:12 PM
    Seb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GB1
    Taken at Convict Lake near Mammoth Lakes, CA. It was pretty much at peak leaf season, but the lighting was inconsistent that day with the sun poking out from behind the clouds for very short intervals. I consider that a mixed blessing because although it played havok on the metering, contrasts, and colors, it was nice to not get stuck with the plain ol' blue sky.

Personally I dont see these being winners, but I'm interested in everyone else's' take. :D

(Fuji Velvia Film)

GB

GB, first of all, I must say that the colors that you've got here are quite unique. Have you used any filter or it's just the way that Velvia reacted to this particular lighting? (I don't think I ever shot Velvia).

Composition wise I like the first two. The glow on the trees trunks in the first one is quite compelling but I think that the rather blown out sky is an issue. No need for a plain ol' blue sky but I would have prefered a darker sky for sure. lol

I like the geometric configuration in your second picture, that's well seen. However the contrast is too much for me and then again, I would have prefered a darker sky.

I find the thrid and fourth one to be successful in term of overall lighting and exposure but I don't feel your compositions here. In both case the trees branchs entering the frame in the very foreground get in the way and gives me the impression that you were too far away from your subject. I can see why you shot these though. The place definitely is beautiful. Hiking there must have been a whole lot of fun. I just don't think that the third and fourth one works well composition wise.

regards

Seb
  • 10-23-2006, 12:44 AM
    readingr
    GB

A grad filter and polarizer would have been useful for the day to keep some of that sky. The inclusion of the fishermen is teriffic and I agree with Gary a slight crop off the bottom of #4 would help it. Ever though of cutting good sky from another photo and replacing the one in this?

#3 too cluttered for me

#2 is my favourite out of the lot as they stand. and I love the patterns in the rock showing how the earth gets deformed.

#1 ruined by the sky and again maybe a little cluttered but I might be because of the sky. The trees are perfect.

Its been a long time since I was skiing in Mamoth. What a place - best skiing I have ever had.

Roger
  • 10-23-2006, 04:01 AM
    Greg McCary
    #1 and #4 are best for me. The dead tree in the second takes away from the view of the mountian. I think I may try some Velvia....
    Greg
  • 10-23-2006, 08:00 AM
    gahspidy
    btw, that velvia does turn some great results. I have a roll of 50iso velvia that I'm itching to shoot with. . . . just can't get the time when i want.
  • 10-23-2006, 08:23 AM
    Ronnoco
    1 Attachment(s)
    Taking out a tree however is easy, even if you don't have a handy axe available. :D :D

Ronnoco
  • 10-23-2006, 10:42 AM
    GB1
    Thks everyone for commenting. Gary, I also like #2's contrast, but unfortunately the pic's really just a collection of broken objects w/ no real subject (besides the dark tree and tree stump, which are rather weak subjects..). To me, # 4 is missing something. I think if the boat was bigger it might work. I feel that the mountain is a great supporting character, but too monotone to be the main subject. Seb, I agree about # 3... it has the colors, but one simply doesn't know where to look... everything's about equal in shape and color. It needs a deer and her fawns walkin' along the path :) (ditto # 1). Roger, see my comment below on the sky and yeah, they say the skiing is good there (they ski till JULY at that place btw...). Greg, try that Velvia but expect some strong colors and perhaps slightly more contrast than you might want. Ronnoco, I'm not sure I'd trust you with an axe :D

Here's the question of the week, folks:

I FINALLY learned to take my graduated ND filter out of my camera bag. What it appears to have done pretty consistently w/ the Velvia is blow out the sky (!??) I used the dark area of the filter on the sky, which has the overall effect of adding exposure to the photo. However, the sky area SHOULD have received less light due to the filter, and should not have been blown out. That's what I expected, anyways. What happened?

I'm waiting for my Kodachrome film to return, will see if there's any difference. And no, I didn't use a polarizer on the Velvia because it's already color-balanced to produce a dark saturated sky. Using a polarizer on Velvia (or VS Ektachrome) produces way too much saturation on sky, but I still use a polarizer w/ the Kodachrome. Will see.........

GB
  • 10-23-2006, 05:06 PM
    Ronnoco
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GB1
    Ronnoco, I'm not sure I'd trust you with an axe :D GB

Smart man. :D Neither would anyone else! :)

Ronnoco
  • 10-23-2006, 06:39 PM
    picturetaker1239
    that shot with the mountains in te background is so cliche. SO cliche. almost like fisheyes in teh city with bent buildings. so cliche..o god.
  • 10-24-2006, 01:28 AM
    readingr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GB1

I'm waiting for my Kodachrome film to return, will see if there's any difference. And no, I didn't use a polarizer on the Velvia because it's already color-balanced to produce a dark saturated sky. Using a polarizer on Velvia (or VS Ektachrome) produces way too much saturation on sky, but I still use a polarizer w/ the Kodachrome. Will see.........

GB

OooH! I used to use the polarizer with Ektachrome when I used to use that film. I used to use it with most film come to think of it with no real problems that I remember. I'll have to dig out some of my photos from way past when and (Ooops! forgot my scanner is not that brilliant and need to find out if it will work) I'll post if I get anything decent.

Roger
  • 10-24-2006, 08:56 AM
    GB1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by picturetaker1239
    that shot with the mountains in te background is so cliche. SO cliche. almost like fisheyes in teh city with bent buildings. so cliche..o god.

Picturetaker - Errr.. yeah, but it sure beats taking photos of cars driving by my house. :) I guess you live near the mountains and see lots of them every day?

But I guess this is why when you see the winners of a photo contest that they tend to be the real strange, or at least different, stuff. The judges get tired of looking at the same ol' shots all the time.

GB
  • 10-24-2006, 12:04 PM
    Ronnoco
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GB1
    Picturetaker - Errr.. yeah, but it sure beats taking photos of cars driving by my house. :) I guess you live near the mountains and see lots of them every day?

But I guess this is why when you see the winners of a photo contest that they tend to be the real strange, or at least different, stuff. The judges get tired of looking at the same ol' shots all the time.

GB

And much to the surprise of some, clichés still sell very well, if they have good colour, good composition and good technique.

Ronnoco
  • 10-24-2006, 12:42 PM
    GB1
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by readingr
    OooH! I used to use the polarizer with Ektachrome when I used to use that film. I used to use it with most film come to think of it with no real problems that I remember. I'll have to dig out some of my photos from way past when and (Ooops! forgot my scanner is not that brilliant and need to find out if it will work) I'll post if I get anything decent.

Roger

Roger - I think I may have used a polarizer on this shot, which I think is Velvia but it could be VS Ektachrome. I think the sky's a little 'over the top', ... but others may think it's not. What do you think?

gb
  • 10-24-2006, 01:51 PM
    Ronnoco
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GB1
    Roger - I think I may have used a polarizer on this shot, which I think is Velvia but it could be VS Ektachrome. I think the sky's a little 'over the top', ... but others may think it's not. What do you think?

gb

Photo magazines have skies way far beyond that, when you are talking about "over the top", and whether anyone likes it or not, they tend to set the norm, because that is what a lot of pros working in the media areas see.

By the way, it is a great shot. Texture, patterns, colour combinations etc. go together very well and the simple sky goes well with it too.

Ronnoco
  • 10-24-2006, 02:45 PM
    GB1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnoco

By the way, it is a great shot. Texture, patterns, colour combinations etc. go together very well and the simple sky goes well with it too.

Ronnoco

Thks Ronnoco, guess it was worth the hassle of hiking out there. It's public domain now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wave%2C_Arizona
  • 10-24-2006, 04:31 PM
    Loupey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GB1

gb

I think it's freakin' terrific :thumbsup:

As for your original set, my only additional comment is that I wish the fishermen (in #4) had a bigger role in the image.
  • 10-24-2006, 08:54 PM
    GB1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Loupey
    I think it's freakin' terrific :thumbsup:

As for your original set, my only additional comment is that I wish the fishermen (in #4) had a bigger role in the image.

You must like to fish!
    Thanks for the comment, Loupey. Nice website btw... and I wish my kitchen looked that good.
    GB
  • 10-25-2006, 02:24 AM
    readingr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GB1

gb

This to me is a perfect image, Lines, textures, colours... leading up to the saturated blue sky, which would be ruined by clouds; Worth it Definitely.

I love it

Roger