Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Fire People: Take 1

OK everyone, I am preparing for a show this summer and I need some help with objective editing. I require objective honest opinion of all levels. If it makes you think of something or disagrees with you completely it would really help me to know. That said:

Here is the first group:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fire People: Take 1-clicks9785aweb.jpg   Fire People: Take 1-clicks10210aweb.jpg   Fire People: Take 1-fireman.jpg  
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Re: Fire People: Take 1

And I thought people would lose their jobs :-)

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    And I thought people would lose their jobs :-)
    :lol: But do you have a critique?
    Asheville Photographer

MB1

Everything about #1 works, the exposure the composition and the crop are really good.

I want to like #2 because the woman is hot but I think you are in a little tight; I want to see more flame.

#3 doesn't have enough of his face to my way of thinking.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Quote Originally Posted by CLKunst
    :lol: But do you have a critique?
    Oh, critique. OK.

First photo, I don't find it interesting (purely subjective here of course). Was there a third person there at the back? May be shooting from other angles would work better. This one...nothing special. It's a photo all right.

The second one, unlike MB1, I'd go the other way and crop tighter. From elbow up. Or may even crop out some of the elbow.

The third one, I think I would stand back a bit to shoot.

Overall, for shots like the first one and the third one, I'd try shooting from other perspectives. But you may already shot some already (these only part of the series, right?)

spectacular

Cindy, I think the second image is the strongest of the group. The moment is good, the exposure is effective and the crop is fine , I think. the subject is strong and you get her in a alluring pose. The first image is, well, i wish the third fire twirler were as visible as the other two, but becuase it is so dark back there it almost looks like empty wasted space and does not sit well with me.
    the third image I feel is not a strong moment caught. I need to see more of the performer and also see him doing something more spectacular for my interest to be held.
    #2 is definetly a keeper and a strong one at that.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Hi CL,
    I like Shots 1 and 2. The composition of the first one is very good; while the second one depicts the emotion of the woman well. Thanks for sharing.
    yoyo

Thanks for the great responses AE, MB, Don, Gary & Yoyo, this is just the kind of input I need. The sorting has begun!

This first group of shots was taken during a practice performance in a five acre horse pasture in Potomac,Maryland with about 20 other fire dancers so I did not have much liberty to circle my subjects and get a better angle. I had to stand on the sidelines, with a long lens, in the dark and avoid getting burned or trampled on.

I had my concerns about No. 1 because of the last dancer which you can barely see. While I really liked the shapes in the air created by the flaming poi I thought that the lost spinner at the end might be a big draw back. I'll go back and see what I can do about bringing him out a little more. That's a maybe stack.

No. 2 is a favorite of mine and I was afraid I liked it too much and couldn't see the short comings, but it seems to be the favorite so far, so that's a definite keeper. She was also dancing after the main group had taken a break so I was able to approach her on the field and get more of what I wanted. I guess that's why this one works the best.

No. 3 I like because of the illumination on his arms and chest but thought that might not be enough to hold it together. Sounds like there is consensus on that, so out goes Mr. Hunky Arms! Oh well. That's what sorting is all about.

Here's a look at the insanity from a distance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fire People: Take 1-firepeople.jpg  
    Asheville Photographer

MB1

Your last image if presented with the others would bring everything together as a set nicely.

BTW since (as far as I know) you are the only woman commenting on these images I'd say that if "Mr. Hunky Arms" works for you=keep him in.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Just Lurking

Here's my two cents worth...

I think the first would be stronger if that last ring of fire were brighter and you could actually see someone in there.

On the second, I think a crop from the bottom would help some. The skin at the bottom looks a little strange to me, probably due to the uneven light from the flames. I'd also like to see it with more flame, but I'm not completely sure. I think you have enough there to tell the story, plus I think the shot is almost more about the girl so the flame doesn't have to be so prominent. I like this one the best.

The third is a little too blurry for my tastes. I think it would also be cool if you could catch the flame going around his leg. I can see the rope there and would guess that the flame will swing around again, but it's hard to tell here. I like the lighting on his face and chest though.

Nice shooting in a challenging situation.

PC

Thank you PC, I see what you are saying about her skin, AE pointed out a similar crop as well. Here's my interpretation of your comments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fire People: Take 1-clicks10210aweb.jpg  
    Asheville Photographer

The crop and the slight enhancement to the lighting makes the second image all the better. Really a powerful shot. Btw, I like the pano of the whole set of firedancers. I think it could go with the series.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks Gary! I appreciate your taking the time to come back.
    Asheville Photographer

I visited a live critique over the past weekend and just wanted to add that the "Fireman" aka "Mr. Hunky Arms" got some very positive response from the women who attended, (without any prompting) so I guess there is some gender bias.

Asheville Photographer

Thread Information