Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Completely Worn Out

Hey Everyone! It's been a while since I posted a photo on PR. Sorry guys, Been rather busy.

Went out for a little photo walk tonight, Came across this old thermometer mounted to the side of a 100 year old house.
    I thought it turned out great. I love the DOF I achieved. What do you guys think of the shot?

Shot with:

Canon 1DMKII + Canon 70-200mm f/4L
    ISO: 200
    Shot At: 1/160 @ f/5.0
    Focal length: 140mm

Post processing: Added contrast, and converted the photo into black and white. Please let me know what you think!

Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

Re: Completely Worn Out

I like it.
    I remember those thermometers.
    The DOF is perfect.....
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

Could use a richer black point by adjustments in your BW conversion (maybe try maximum black or something). The shapes and textures behind the thermostat don't really make pleasant bokeh shapes either. Just my flavor anyway, the photo was technically well exposed and focused.

Thank you, I will add a bit more black level.

Anyone else have anything to nit pick?
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

GB1

W/ the caption it's Ok, but I'm not sure I find the fogged out glass area very interesting. A different background would be a plus also, as even blurred out it seems to distract (esp that left-side vertical, bent thing). A little brighter white set point may be good, too.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I like this, Rylan. The foggy worn out area of the thermometers face matches the blurred out bg which sorta brings a few levels of dimension here somehow.

I agree about raising the black and white points to get more pop from this....its mostly all in the gray area now.

I do not care for the blob like shape in the far left and i think if you crop this into a 4x5 format (8x10) by eliminating most of the left side it helps a lot.

Good spotting and def a worthy subject
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information