Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Cold Wet and Tired

After a night sail from Plymouth to Southampton in the UK in a Force 9 severe gale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cold Wet and Tired-dscf0642-cropped-rotated-light-640.jpg  
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Re: Cold Wet and Tired

Wow, force 9 winds eh?! That's crazy. As for the picture, besides personal value to you, I don't see much in this picture that's really interesting. Without the write up you gave, I'd be dumbfounded on what was happening. Though I like the flouresecent orange colors, the lack of subject matter here is too overwhelming.

Sorry, but it's just me, and I know plenty who might disagree with me,

Just my two cents,

Jared

n00b

I think this picture might have been improved if the person's face on the far left was sharper and better exposed. His expression would add a lot.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I think this shot suffers from bad weather, much like the sailors. The overcast sky gives you very flat light, but a little curves adjustment can brighten it up a bit, and add a little bit more color to the jackets. Also one thing that is distracting it the poles coming out of the guys head in the middle. I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of making a few quick adjustments to show you what I mean. If you don't want me to post it, let me know and I will delete it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cold Wet and Tired-dscf0642-cropped-rotated-light-640.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Ghost

I think you've captured things about as best as you could. The light was awful and there's no way to have improved that. I don't agree with the poster about removing the poles.....in this case I think they're necessary environment elements just pay better attention to that when you take the shot. By removing the poles it now feels like they're in a motor boat instead of the feeling of a sail boat.

I find the shot interesting only because it is you or your shipmates in what was obviously a rough, cold venture. The lighting was overcast and not an ideal shot. I do like the original post better than the edited one put up as i find it true to the day and mood. Also agree with Trevor about the poles, they lend to show us there is alot of boat here and this is no sunny day on a motorboat.
    btw, I look just liike that when riding my 650 KLR in the winter.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks for all the comments, On the 15hour trip 10 out of the 14 crew went down with seasickness leaving me and three others to carry out all the watches. I agree with the comments about it really is a snap rather than a photo which brings back fond memories (I wasn't seasick).

Michael, I tried to dodge the faces and brighten the whole picture. Did not like any of the mods.

Trevor - your spot on about the wire cables (not poles) they need to be there but not in coming out of the wifes head (Yep thats the boss at the helm), Sun not yet over the horizon when shot taken, but the weather was better than the night before (rained all night so I wanted it looking grim)..

Gary - you ride a bike in winter in New York Brrrrr! (and I thought I was nuts!)
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    After a night sail from Plymouth to Southampton in the UK in a Force 9 severe gale.
    You said cold, wet, and tired. Were you happy to be out on the water?

Looks like you have quite a stiff wind judging by the angle of the rails by the wheel.
    But you've shot with the horizon - well, it's horizontal (they usually are, I know).

How about shooting in the ship's frame of reference?
    It would need to have been wider angle, to include your subjects..
    But sometimes LVLH (local vertical, local horizontal) gets very interesting effects.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cold Wet and Tired-rr.jpg  
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I wish I'd thought of that and taken that picture when on the boat. Will try that once I get the boat back in the water.

DSLR
    Digital

Thread Information