Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Cold Glaze...

Cold Glaze...

A rather uneventfull hike along the beach...

"You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it. ~Author Unknown"
    PAULSVEDA.com
    My Blog

Re: Cold Glaze...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.S.
    A rather uneventfull hike along the beach...

Doesn't look like it was uneventful!
    Beautiful colour in this shot, and I like your 1/3 - 2/3 placement.
    My only quibble is that the placement of the rocks could be more balanced had you moved around so as to get the rock in the ice a bit further to the right in your comp.
    Other than that I really like it. My kinda shot.
    Kudos.
    Jon

"shoot wide, shoot close"

Quote Originally Posted by JK_Photo
    Doesn't look like it was uneventful!
    Beautiful colour in this shot, and I like your 1/3 - 2/3 placement.
    My only quibble is that the placement of the rocks could be more balanced had you moved around so as to get the rock in the ice a bit further to the right in your comp.
    Other than that I really like it. My kinda shot.
    Kudos.
    I have to agree with Jon on this shot. Great colors and certainly an perfectly planned composition.

Great shot Paul as always!

Jared

I love this shot. The colours are great. I like tones of the sky, ice & the rock. Very subtle but effective., It's very serene.

The only thing that kinda distracts me is the rock on the bottom left. It's just very strong compared to how everything else is so smooth & subtle. I wish it was a bit smaller.

Very nicely done.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

So I have nice comments and two preferences, one to pull the ice in the foreground further to the right and one to try to get rid of it as much as possible. I guess this boils down to personal preference but I do have a question for you folks.

I've been taught to focus with both eyes open and compose with one eye closed. Is this correct or can you folks give me some advise if this is the wrong approach.

once again thanks for the comments..

p.
    "You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it. ~Author Unknown"
    PAULSVEDA.com
    My Blog

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

So I have nice comments and two preferences, one to pull the ice in the foreground further to the right and one to try to get rid of it as much as possible. I guess this boils down to personal preference but I do have a question for you folks.

I've been taught to focus with both eyes open and compose with one eye closed. Is this correct or can you folks give me some advise if this is the wrong approach.

p.

That's a new one for me. I hve never heard of that approach, but that doesn't mean it's not correct.

As for your photo, I thinks is great. The colors, as mentioned by others, are woderfull, and I think your composition is excellent. I wouldn't move the rocks one bit. The only nit pick for me is that there seems to be too much sky. The rocks in the FG grab me, and lead me to the rock in the ice, then I want to keep moving up thru the photo but there is nothing there. Don't get me wrong, the colors in the sky are great, but to me it seems to be missing something. But as you said, it boils down to personal preference. Great shot and I would love to see more.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

p.
    I'd say that if it works for you - it's correct.
    Closing one eye will give you a 2D look at what you're shooting and since your end product is 2 dimensional I can see how this would be beneficial.
    Having your eyes open while focussing(one 's' or two - I can never remember!!) is also recommended.
    Jon

"shoot wide, shoot close"

Ghost

Paul,

That's some great light there but I'm not thrilled with the composition. I was wondering why you cropped it the way you did? (I'll assume it's uncropped at this point).

both rock formations work for me. the FG rock leads your eye to the other rock. it would be better if some more space was between the rocks to add more contrast/seperation for the rock reflection in the water, but that's a minor issue for me. i do think there is much too much sky --- takes your eye away from the rocks.

Thread Information