Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Coke Advertising

I had to do an advertising shot of a product of my choice. So I chose Coca Cola. I toned the color down to make the color of the logo pop. Just wanted to see what everyone thought about it.
    Photography Equipment:

Nikon D90
    NIkon D3000
    Nikon 50mm F1.8G
    Nikon 55-200mm F4-5.6G
    Nikon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6
    Nikon SB-900
    Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro
    Tamron 70-200mm F2.8

Tamrac 5374 camera backpack
    Dolica 73-Inch Proline Tripod with pan head

Re: Coke Advertising

I am not an advertising man but you did this pretty well I think. The selective desaturation works pretty well in this case and your model looks like he is enjoying his drink. Your lighting just about right too, although perhaps just a little burning in on his forearm would help (it is on the edge of burning out and blending into the background).

Also, I would be inclined to take off some of the right - it is dead space, and a crop might move the bottle and logo towards the centre of the frame.

Hope this helps!
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Just Me

Coca Cola could have several ads going on at the same time each one targets certain group of audience, who is this one targeting?, the guy is not young enough to appeal to teenagers but yet dressed and accessorized like one, he doesn't appeal to adults either. and that facial hair is not a good idea.
    Selective color became very predictable in emphasizing an element but not the best. An ad is more than just a picture, I wish to see how the final result would look like.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldb View Post
    Coca Cola could have several ads going on at the same time each one targets certain group of audience, who is this one targeting?, the guy is not young enough to appeal to teenagers but yet dressed and accessorized like one, he doesn't appeal to adults either. and that facial hair is not a good idea.
    Selective color became very predictable in emphasizing an element but not the best. An ad is more than just a picture, I wish to see how the final result would look like.
    My target audience would be young people. He's in his 20's, so it would apply to younger people. The facial hair I could do nothing about. He showed up like that so I had to shoot him like that. But what would you suggest as emphasizing the product besides bringing the color out?
    Photography Equipment:

Nikon D90
    NIkon D3000
    Nikon 50mm F1.8G
    Nikon 55-200mm F4-5.6G
    Nikon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6
    Nikon SB-900
    Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro
    Tamron 70-200mm F2.8

Just Me

Quote Originally Posted by Levi1990 View Post
    But what would you suggest as emphasizing the product besides bringing the color out?
    Well, an ad is a complete design project, the picture is just one of its elements. The elements are put together in a way that gets the advertisers message across. asking "what would you suggest as emphasizing the product besides bringing the color out" is like asking "how should I design the ad?".
    We all know that Coke is a Drink and the label is red but yet you emphasized the two most basic ideas of Coke. I think you need to forget about the color and concentrate more on how the final ad should look like and what is the story behind it would be because every ad should have a story. You should expand your thoughts into how a person feels when he drinks Coke, or how Coke could help a group of people to have fun time, or how drinking Coke could improve your work performance through out your day, or how drinking Coke makes a girl feel prettier and guys are at her feet. I can go on and on making up stories and relate them all to drinking Coke.
    When you finish establishing your idea, that is when you think of how you wish to execute the photograph ....and only then you'll discover that the color and drinking it are the least to worry about.

I might add that the quality of you shot is just fine, the color pops enough but I'm not crazy about the corner shadows.
    Last edited by geraldb; 06-23-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldb View Post
    Well, an ad is a complete design project, the picture is just one of its elements. The elements are put together in a way that gets the advertisers message across. asking "what would you suggest as emphasizing the product besides bringing the color out" is like asking "how should I design the ad?".
    We all know that Coke is a Drink and the label is red but yet you emphasized the two most basic ideas of Coke. I think you need to forget about the color and concentrate more on how the final ad should look like and what is the story behind it would be because every ad should have a story. You should expand your thoughts into how a person feels when he drinks Coke, or how Coke could help a group of people to have fun time, or how drinking Coke could improve your work performance through out your day, or how drinking Coke makes a girl feel prettier and guys are at her feet. I can go on and on making up stories and relate them all to drinking Coke.
    When you finish establishing your idea, that is when you think of how you wish to execute the photograph ....and only then you'll discover that the color and drinking it are the least to worry about.

I might add that the quality of you shot is just fine, the color pops enough but I'm not crazy about the corner shadows.
    The only thing I could think about was the old school Coke commercials that had the bears drinking the Coke. That was the whole thing behind this picture. I know for a fact I didn't think deep enough about this project because advertising is not one of my strongest subjects in photography. But the reason I posted this is to get feedback like this on it. Thank you for your input.
    Photography Equipment:

Nikon D90
    NIkon D3000
    Nikon 50mm F1.8G
    Nikon 55-200mm F4-5.6G
    Nikon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6
    Nikon SB-900
    Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro
    Tamron 70-200mm F2.8

GB1

Like it! I don't know about the vignette, as it seems a little too obvious, but I do like the spot color and your technical execution. I also wonder how neat this would be if you cut and pasted him (and the bottle) into a different, black-and-white background - try it.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Just from an advertising viewpoint, the bottle looks not so refreshing, due to the hot spots and the lack of condesention. But, maybe that goes farther than what was expected.

Also from advertisting standpoint, my comments are -
    - good picture but not catchy enough as an advertisement.
    As someone who does not know much about advertisement, my only comment is that overall it lacks some "X" factor that makes us say "wow" and good advert.

Could it be the subject or the person, he seems abit too "cool" for the coke advertisement. He lacks certain type of expression for this type of advertisements.
    Or maybe his pose for the photo is too stiff and not relaxed enough?

The photo is awesome, no doubt

Guys, have you tried advertising using Google services? I've just bumped into this website https://recommendme.online/ and I read about Google ads campaign improvements. As far as I understand you can get assistance for free and it's very handy.

Thread Information