Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Castle Cornet

Castle Cornet

Just back from 2 week sailing vacation in the Channel Islands

Critique please

Roger R.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Castle Cornet-img_2484-coloured-mask-copy-640.jpg  
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Re: Castle Cornet

Very nice mood. I like the monochrome feel and having the moon there is a real bonus. I think cropping out part of the sky would strengthen it a bit.
    ----------------------------

Chunk - Thanks for the reply, I have played around with trying to crop this image before posting and I kept going back to the picture out of the camera.

Every time I try to crop the sky the photo looks unbalanced and when I crop the sea to balance it, it looks funny. Would you like to give it a go and show me what you mean.

Roger.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital

I was thinking of cropping to about 1 moon's diameter above the moon. I wouldn't want to lose any of the reflections in the water by cropping there. This leaves the pic with unusual proportions, I know, but I like that the building is above the center of the frame more.
    Boy I like this pic more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    I was thinking of cropping to about 1 moon's diameter above the moon. I wouldn't want to lose any of the reflections in the water by cropping there. This leaves the pic with unusual proportions, I know, but I like that the building is above the center of the frame more.
    Boy I like this pic more and more.
    What about this - it just looks odd to me

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Castle Cornet-img_2484-cropped-640.jpg  

DSLR
    Digital

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    What about this - it just looks odd to me

Roger
    Then you surely shouldn't print it this way. We need to take suggestions in these critiques as just that...suggestions to try. Your own judgement should be the final guide. I guess I like odd shots 'cause this looks real good to me.

Chunk,

The more I look at your crop the better I like it. Just thought I would let you know.

PS. just played around with adding 2 images of different exposures as described by someone on this list and it seems to make a great photo. Once I get it right I might add it for comparison.

DSLR
    Digital

Thanks, Roger. I'll watch for your new pic.

Thread Information