Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Against the sky

Against the sky

A shot of the walkway on the Algiers side of the Mississippi River in Louisiana,
    taken on 21 February 2004.

Camera: Nikon N8008s.
    Lens: AF 28-75mm f2.8 Tamron.
    Film: Konica 200.
    Filter: Tiffen 812.

Photoshop LE used to create the B&W image.

-Here's the photo-

New system but here is the image.

A shot of the walkway on the Algiers side of the Mississippi River in Louisiana,
    taken on 21 February 2004.

Camera: Nikon N8008s.
    Lens: AF 28-75mm f2.8 Tamron.
    Film: Konica 200.
    Filter: Tiffen 812.

Photoshop LE used to create the B&W image.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks good, I like the way u can view the rails in the bench and how the light pole outlines the picture edge. did u take 1 in color to? B&W looks so good in certain applications. I took this B&W a week ago, makes it look so old, like soem thing from the 20's. i like the position of the person, and the sidng of the 2 old buildings. very rare to see pics that look this old, only bad thing in it is the Jimmy, which reveals the true age, i need to photo shop it out!

Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy
    Looks good, I like the way u can view the rails in the bench and how the light pole outlines the picture edge. did u take 1 in color to? B&W looks so good in certain applications. I took this B&W a week ago, makes it look so old, like soem thing from the 20's. i like the position of the person, and the sidng of the 2 old buildings. very rare to see pics that look this old, only bad thing in it is the Jimmy, which reveals the true age, i need to photo shop it out!
    Onr thing that adds to the seeming age of this shot is the vignetting. Is that part of the original shot or added later?

whats vignetting? I am knew to high end photography. It is alot of fun so i take many pictures. That pic is bone stock off of camera i didnt tweak it at all

Original (although smaller) in color

Here is the original image. The dotted line is kind of where the crop was made.

vignetting

Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy
    whats vignetting? I am knew to high end photography. It is alot of fun so i take many pictures. That pic is bone stock off of camera i didnt tweak it at all
    Sorry I started this in your thread with the nice shot of the lonely bench, Jerry, this doesn't refer to your shot.

Vignetting is the falling off of light toward the corner of photos so the corners seem darker. Compare how dark the sky looks on the corner of the photo to it's appearence on the edge at the centerline.

There are several things that can cause or enhance it. With simple lenses it is a natural occurence due the spreading of light with the increasing angle of incidence the further you get from the optical axis (or something like that). Because modern slrs use complex lenses that correct those kind of problems, its not that big of a problem, but having some vignetting always makes a photo feel 'old' to me,as if it was shot with an old simple lens.

One common way it happens is to add additional filters on the front of the lens or too narrow a lenshood for the focal length of the lens as this cuts down on the light hitting the edges of the frame.

If you enter 'vignetting' in a google search you will find some discussions of it. Here's one of them that discussed the above in much better detail and tells about a couple more causes.
    http://www.archiphoto.com/personal%2...ignetting.html

Thread Information