Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Candlebox

Candlebox

Yes, thats her "stage" name
    Disappointing shoot somewhat, my fault. Thought this one was worthy and gave it a go.

Yes, no, throw or good as it is....looking for your feedback.

Thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Candlebox-candlebox-1147-.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: Candlebox

Really amazing. Very fantasy. The latex almost makes it look like an illustration. Throw? u kidding? lol. I think it's amazing. wished maybe to see her left eye, but that's just a small nitpick. no big deal. love it as is. oh and the hair is great!
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Quote Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
    The latex almost makes it look like an illustration. wished maybe to see her left eye
    You touched on the two things that were most on my mind concerning this....the latex and the left eye. I wished for just a bit more angle to catch it, but this was all I got. Suppose I could grab an eye from another shot and mold it in there, but I don't know if its that troublesome and worthwhile. I'm glad you find it a small issue.
    This particular pose/motion I felt would have been best with a more flowing garment, or nothing at all and just crop a bit above the breasts and have bare neck and shoulders. The purple color I was also not too keen on.... After meddling with it I felt I got it to where it was ok, and so I'm real happy to hear you think it adds to an illustrative look.

Thanks for the points on this Liban,

gary

Wow Gary, this is really a quite stunning shot. I guess my eyes were so drawn to those big voluptuous lips, that I didn't even notice the missing left eye. I was uncomfortable with the color combinations - but I don't know what kind of background would help tie together a purple outfit, pink lipstick and brown eyes. A different colored outfit would have made it easier, but you've already pointed that out. Well done with what you had to work with.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Looks like there was a struggle and the fan won. Just kidding! Not a big fan of what's going on with the hair here though. You've got two locks on the far collar, the hair "Tusk" coming out from her cheek into the background, and the back seems too clumpy. Sigh. Of course it's all fixable in PS, just annoying. Is this hairdryer or fan driven air? It doesn't seem strong enough. See if you can borrow an electric leaf blower, they work like a champ even if they are noisy, blows EVERYTHING back- no straggler hairs. Obviously, to dimish the affect have the leaf blower holder move back a bit until you get it where you want it. And have her turn her head more towards you, a second smaller fan can help with wind direction if you find it blowing too much across her face.

Sorry it was a tough shoot for you, everything else looks flawless and everybody can get a case of the awkwards sometimes. It happens.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

The leaf blower trick works (unless she has contacts - it dries their eyes out in seconds) but it sure is noisy! I agree about the hair forward being a bit of an issue, though that's an easy fix. My biggest reservation is the nose piercing the cheek AND blocking the eye. One or the other would probably be fine, but that seems like a double whammy. I LOVE the processing, it reminds me of those awesome stereoscope looking bird shots you did a few years back; very 3D feeling.

Thanks for the feedback Ken, Cindy and Jim. Actually, there was no fan used here. This was a head flip back while I shot at the "right" time. Cindy, the "hair" on the collar is actually light reflected of the latex. I could easily remove that being that it may look like hair. Also can remove the wisp of hair in front of far cheek, but liked it somehow.

Jim, I def was concerned with the blocked eye, but actually like the nose piercing off the cheek as I felt it adds a more 3 dimensional feel and form to the face but will have to look it over some more.

I appreciate the comments

gary

Attractive model and image , the hair almost makes it look like she is under water.

Does she have freckles on the shoulders ? the skin seems a bit grayish /blotchy
    EDIT: never mind it is the work monitor that made it look funny
    I too would like too see the other eye

Picturing it in my mind using a leaf blower made me LOL,
    I wouldn't stand the noise , and I think, I would make more mistakes than usual
    Last edited by armando_m; 05-27-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

It's only a little one! {leafblower] :blush2: It usually makes them LOL too, especially if there BF gets to drive it!
    Last edited by CLKunst; 05-27-2011 at 06:11 PM.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Gary I have no issues with it. I think it's pretty dang good. You might try cropping just a little off of the right, just a little though. Just to see.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy View Post
    Cindy, the "hair" on the collar is actually light reflected of the latex. I could easily remove that being that it may look like hair.
    Now that you mention it, it appears to be reflecting the shoulder. Maybe just dodging it to get a brighter tone would be an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy View Post
    Jim, I def was concerned with the blocked eye, but actually like the nose piercing off the cheek as I felt it adds a more 3 dimensional feel and form to the face but will have to look it over some more.
    The comment was strictly from a "formal portrait rules" perspective. No need to conform on my account

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    Attractive model and image , the hair almost makes it look like she is under water.

Does she have freckles on the shoulders ? the skin seems a bit grayish /blotchy
    EDIT: never mind it is the work monitor that made it look funny
    I too would like too see the other eye
    Thanks for that, Armando! I was about to go in with the brush and palette to see if I could understand the area in question and fix it...

Yep, the eye was an issue for me and seems to big the one big negative in this for most so I'm going in for an eye plant... I think it'll be worth the while then

gary

Thanks Greg and Jim.
    Ok, had to go in for an eye plant. I think it was worth while even though its ever so slightly visible. In the high res file there is a bit of the brown iris visible as well as some catchlight and the edit seems pretty good up close.

Jim, Cindy...I also decided to tint the reflection on the collar a purple so that it looks more like a reflection off the latex rather than hair. even though it was actually a reflection of the shoulder as Jim correctly pointed out, it was too close to the color of the hair and gave the wrong impression.

So, edits in place for the better or the worse? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Candlebox-candlebox-1147-.jpg  

gary

Absolutely for better! Never ceases to amaze me how a tiny little tweak or two can make all the difference :thumbsup:

The first thing I noticed in the orig was the collar. The edit more than takes care of that and everything else. Great model, stunning shot. You'll have to fill me in on how you did this.

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim View Post
    Absolutely for better! Never ceases to amaze me how a tiny little tweak or two can make all the difference :thumbsup:
    Dito....thanks for your time and help, Jim.

btw, also cropped a bit off the right as per Greg suggestion. I think it helps a bit.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton View Post
    The first thing I noticed in the orig was the collar. The edit more than takes care of that and everything else. Great model, stunning shot. You'll have to fill me in on how you did this.
    Thanks for the input....I can probably best fill you in on what NOT to do :P

gary

GB1

Gary

I agree that this is definitely no throwaway! Things I like include her lips, hair, the way her hair color complements the background color, her wild expression, outfit, and so on. I think you did an OK job photographically but also agree that not seeing the left eye hurts the photo. It could also be a tad sharper, but ... assuming you used strobe, you are limited by the synch SS. I am interested in how prof photogs get around this for dancing models, etc ?

One thing that prevents the image from realizing it's full potential is that her upper body doesn't look strong in this image... Her shoulders seems very narrow and her arm seems a bit weak/out of shape. I don't know if it's really like that or just the angle, but I prefer really physically fit models myself. For this reason, I think it may work better as a portrait, but not sure if it has the sharpness for a crop in?

Nice work regardless.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for the input, GB. Actually the eye and face is tack sharp (not sure why it does not appear that way here) which was partly luck. This was a head flip. I had the model stand in a position that I felt would be the moment I would click and then set the focus. Then when she flipped I clicked and it happened to be dead on. Sync speed was 1/200, can go up to 1/250 with the cyber syncs. I believe there are setups with PW's that allow syncs as high as cameras maximum shutter speeds...

Yep, i'm thankful for the feedback about the left eye missing, and feel the "eye plant" really helped that somewhat.

The model is fit and petite, although not muscular. I'm not sure i'm seeing that aspect of the upper body as you are, but then again I did not see quite a few other things with it as well.

shaprness and resolution is there for a tight head crop ... might be worthwhile experimenting with. Thanks

gary

I like the photo. I do not know if is because I'm still learning but I think that you did a good job.
    The only thing for me is the nose that pierce out of the chick and it look bigger that what it actually is. I will just look that pose for the next time.

I do like a lot the illumination and the photo technique.

Quote Originally Posted by wilsan View Post
    I like the photo. I do not know if is because I'm still learning but I think that you did a good job.
    The only thing for me is the nose that pierce out of the chick and it look bigger that what it actually is. I will just look that pose for the next time.

I do like a lot the illumination and the photo technique.
    Thank you, I appreciate your feedback.

gary

Thread Information