Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Can ya hear me now II (rated PG)

One of the great things about working on South Beach is the never ending supply of brightly colored & interesting subject matter. The difficulty is that I only have time to shoot @ lunch break which limits me to high hard intense light, but I'm trying to make the best of it. Any suggestions for improvement here?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can ya hear me now II (rated PG)-beach_wallpaper800px-dscf0913.jpg  

Re: Can ya hear me now II (rated PG)

throw ice water at her before hitting the shutter

no but, I think it works, that's the light i'd expect to see at the beach. I think you could crop it to the bottle with shift/slide to also get rid of some of the sand and keep the ratio. Some more detail in the water (color & shading) may be nice if you have a CPL.

I like the image. It is obviously a photo of opportunity and a great opportunity it was. My suggestion for improvement would be to crop up from the bottom to eliminate about I/3 of the sand and to crop in slightly from the left side. I love the different tones in the ocean on the top of the photo and the white hat to me just gives the photo that little extra ump.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Yeah, have her turn over!

jetrim,

Yeah, real harsh conditions.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

i think it either needs cropped from the top or the bottom, as is, her head is right in the middle of the shot.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

trigger happy geriatric.

I feel sorry for you having to take such photographs. And in such poor lighting too, rofl.

Agree with the above though.

Dave

Thanks for all the comments, and for those suggesting they'd like to see the other side, it's almost too easy - like shooting fish in a barrel :lol: I have walked the beach every day for the past 4 weeks at lunch. there has not been a single day that I didn't see at least one great looking woman sunbathing/swimming/walking/exercising topless.

OK here's the crop with a light high-pass sharpen to bring out a bit of detail in the waves, better?

For kicks, I'm editing this post to add the original shot exactly as it came out of the camera with absolutely no adjustments except for resize. I'm posting it due to the many people I've seen recently that have some moral dilemma about making adjustments to their images. the original shot I posted was what I "saw" amongst all the distractions. It is what I wanted to share with the viewer. Had I posted the unedited version, there is no doubt in my mind that these same folks would have looked and come away with "ehh, it's a crappy snapshot of a cute girl, so what". My belief is that this is where the "art" comes into play regarding photographic reproductions. Both the unedited and the edited shots tell a story, but each story is very different. Reporters are supposed to tell the story as it happened, artists have the luxury of not not having to be so tightly constrained. Nothing wrong with creating strictly documentary records of items or events, I'd just prefer to make (and view) stories...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can ya hear me now II (rated PG)-wallpaper800px0913a.jpg   Can ya hear me now II (rated PG)-no_adjustments0913.jpg  
    Last edited by jetrim; 09-26-2009 at 05:09 AM.

Great edit job. I do like the new crop as well on the orginal post.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

nice job, good post too

Thread Information