Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The Watchman

Smile The Watchman

I want to improve my photography and think this would be a great place to get criticism.

This shot was taken in an attempt to create the image I've had in my head for awhile now. I wanted a simple image with some impact. Wanted it to be mysterious and make you guess at what or where it is.

This was taken on my Fuji X100 (Compact rangefinder like camera with a APS-C sensor and a fixed focal length.)

Shutter Speed: 30 seconds
    Aperture: F/16.0
    Focal Length: 35 mm
    ISO Speed: 200

As this was in broad daylight, and the light wasn't what I wanted later in the day/night I used a 10 stop variable ND filter, which I had to handhold over the lense as I only had 77mm filters.. The X100 has 49mm threads.. Taken on a tripod a few days ago.

I have slightly cropped it as it was taken with a 16:9 ratio, as that was initially my idea. I've also slightly edited it, conversion to B/W and bleach bypass to bring out the texture/shadows.

I appreciate all feedback and would like to know what you think of it and how I can improve it, or in general. Thanks everyone! All input welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Watchman-watchman.jpg  

Re: The Watchman

Not sure if critique and criticism are the same thing but the problem with this is IMO there are two strong subjects that seem to vie for you attention. I really like the wooden structure with cool texture but the foreground rocks ( also nicely textured ) pull your eyes away.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

I find myself drawn to the rocks, which is a shame since the pedestal is what your main subject should be. I do like the mysterious feel and have tried to achieve that look, unsuccessfully, so bravo for that.

Thanks, that definitely give me some more insight on this photograph. Do you think there is any way to help it? Different crop or PP? I see now that the rocks are too dominant.

if you were to crop it I would try and get rid of some of the rocks but not all of it. Try cropping it a few times till you feel like your eyes aren't drawn to the rock.
    Photography is what Relaxes me, it makes me look at life in a whole new way.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Facebook Profile with all my photography
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I love to help people out. Let me know what you need.

Can you retake the shot at a lower angle using the rocks to lead you to the Wooden arch? That would make this a cracking shot.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information