Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: BW Mushroom

BW Mushroom

I took this early morning today and converted it to B&W. It's my second attempt at converting. Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Regards

Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by pez31
    I took this early morning today and converted it to B&W. It's my second attempt at converting. Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Regards

Phil
    Several views and no comments leads me to think that this is a hard image for people to "connect" to, but I like it. The composition is interesting and I don't really think of a mushroom from that viewpoint. I wish it was a little bigger to see it better, though. The B&W conversionis solid. Youc ould add a touch more contrast, I think. (Or not, as you prefer.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    Several views and no comments leads me to think that this is a hard image for people to "connect" to, but I like it.
    I think the "decorative" framing of shots is interfering with the way people view shots like these, it creates confusion, people don't know what to think and move on to the next thread.

I've seen too many people follow a trend (colorization, framing, sunsets, etc), which lacks originalty. It's not a complaint, look at it more as a well meant advice.

Regards

Phil
    I think the conversion went well and resulted in good contrast. I like the contrast of the mushrooms texture with the rough and ragged background texture. The overall composition is nice but I would rather have more of just the photo to see rather than all the surrounding space.
    What method did you use for the conversion?

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback on this image. I try to keep image size to around 5X7 but forgot to do that here so I posted smaller than I wanted. Attached is a larger version that is unframed. I like the contrasting textures and the way the light feel on the mushroom.
    As for converting to black and white, I used the suggestion Tuna game in a previous post. Bringing the images in PS and then use the channel mixer to create the conversion into BW.

Originally Posted by Tuna

As for "channel mixing", it's how I convert all my color digital files (instead of grayscale, desaturation or Lab Color methods). To do it, the image should begin in RGB mode, then you simply go to Image/Adjust/Channel Mixer. Set Red to 60, Green to 40 and leave Blue at 0 to begin with. Check the "Monochrome" box. This will give you a starting point but you can make changes to all the values to see different results. Make sure the total is always 100. Example: R 80, G 60, B (-40). This method will remove any chance of a color tone remaining, which is what may be showing up on some monitors. Afterwards, do standard levels/curves/sharpening/etc.

Tuna

Hope this helps.

Regards

Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BW Mushroom-mushroom2.jpg  

pez, I like the choice of b&w and your composition. I personally think less dof would improve the image, so the background was blurred.

Spike

Regards

Phil

Opinionated Newbie
    pez -- I really like this image. It's got a very Ansel Adamsish quality to it. Honestly, there is not much at all that I would change. Nice work. Shoot, I wouldn't have even thought to take a shot if I saw it.

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    I too like this shot, B&W was a great choice...
    One nitpick though : the background takes away from the photo ( for me) because I associate the background with bark mulch.
    bark mulch = flower bed
    Flower bed = everyday ordinary.
    but with out the "mulchy" stuff, its a awesome mushroom.
    mushroom ='s not ordinary, fairy's and goblins and such
    or if you are hungry, mushrooms could just mean pizza....
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker
    One nitpick though : the background takes away from the photo ( for me) because I associate the background with bark mulch.
    bark mulch = flower bed
    That shows again that where we live has an influence how we look at photographs. I see a lot of mushrooms around me, several times a year (ordinary) and bark mulch used as a flower bed is not what I see a lot in my area (not ordinary).
    Don't get me wrong Clicker, I'm not arguing with you, I'm just saying in the context of the upcoming new Photography art forum that it shows again that where we live, how old we are, our social life, our knowledge, our history etc can have an influence on how we look at photographs in a different way and if we take it a bit further towards art, that it explains how difficult it is to describe art.

Opinionated Newbie
    or, if you grew up in the 70's...

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback on this image. I try to keep image size to around 5X7 but forgot to do that here so I posted smaller than I wanted. Attached is a larger version that is unframed. I like the contrasting textures and the way the light feel on the mushroom.
    As for converting to black and white, I used the suggestion Tuna game in a previous post. Bringing the images in PS and then use the channel mixer to create the conversion into BW.
    Phil
    Great presentation. Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike
    pez, I like the choice of b&w and your composition. I personally think less dof would improve the image, so the background was blurred.

Spike
    Thanks Spike

I might work it in PS and see if I can reduce the DOF and see how it looks. If I get the time and try, I'll repost.

Regards

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Patten
    pez -- I really like this image. It's got a very Ansel Adamsish quality to it. Honestly, there is not much at all that I would change. Nice work. Shoot, I wouldn't have even thought to take a shot if I saw it.
    Todd

Thanks for the kind words. I could only hope to aspire to 1/3 the ability of Ansel Adams, but appreciate the reference.

Regards

Phil

bark mulch = flower bed
    Clicker,

It is mulch type bedding, much thicker than what you might use at home. This particular preserve must make their own mulch from fallen trees and then place it on trails. Maybe blurring the background might remove some of the familiarity.

Regards

Phil

PS I love mushrooms on my pizza!

Quote Originally Posted by Elysian
    That shows again that where we live has an influence how we look at photographs. I see a lot of mushrooms around me, several times a year (ordinary) and bark mulch used as a flower bed is not what I see a lot in my area (not ordinary).
    Don't get me wrong Clicker, I'm not arguing with you, I'm just saying in the context of the upcoming new Photography art forum that it shows again that where we live, how old we are, our social life, our knowledge, our history etc can have an influence on how we look at photographs in a different way and if we take it a bit further towards art, that it explains how difficult it is to describe art.
    Ah this poses a very deep philosophical question. Can something familiar be considered art?

Elysian,
    I am amazed at how something I think as plain can be wonderful to someone else. I have a friend who lives in Colorado and fell in love with the Illinois flat land (still don't quite understand that). Growing up in Illinois they were just plain and boring, it's just a different perspective. Thanks for the thought.

Regards

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Great presentation. Good work.
    Thanks Chunck

Thread Information