Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Race Fan

Race Fan

I went to an AutoCross race this weekend. While I was there I was kicked off the track by one guy who I am told is "not at all part of the organization, but really into it"
    Anyhow he told me to find a buddy...

I'm glad I looked. I'm not a fan of race photos of cars, etc. going around a track, wrecking, kicking up dust, etc. unless there is something unique about them, which there rarely is.

This photo has a universal appeal to it - doesn't have to be at a race. Beautiful, natural posing is what makes the photo rise a level above - along with the fact that you had the eye to see it and take the picture. Great tones. Could use a bit more contrast. Perfect DOF. Wise choice of B&W. Fantastic framing/presentation.

Well done.

Tuna

Not a bad shot and her pose is quite interesting. I would like to see a little bit more space on her left side, she's now glued too much to the border. The contrast is too high in my opinion; too many black shadows that lack a few more greys. On sunny days like this you won't find many pure blacks (because of ambient light). This can be avoided if you start to correct the image first with levels, before you do a contrast correction (actually most digital photographs don't need a contrast correction after a levels correction).

Thanks for sharing.

This is what I read Tuna after I posted my reply:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuna
    Could use a bit more contrast.
    Funny, because I think it needs less
    Why do you come to that conclusion (just out of curiosity)? ;)

Motion Boy

I like your photo very much. Like Tuna mentioned it has universal appeal. It almost looks like she's a model, and a good one at that. So natural, so comfortable to look at this. The only thing I would do would be to get rid of that boo boo on her hand, just clone it out if you can. Nice DOF and I also love the lighting plus her hair blowing around. Good sharp lens you have there.
    Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Elysian
    This is what I read Tuna after I posted my reply:
    Funny, because I think it needs less
    Why do you come to that conclusion (just out of curiosity)? ;)
    Sorry about taking this liberty with your photo - if you object, please let me know and I will immediately remove them.

I think the added contrast (slight adjustment in curves) helps define and seperate the subject from the background...fairly subjective - just my way of looking at it. I can understand how others may disagree...

Again, nice job!

Tuna
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one Tuna, I appreciate it ;)

Thanks! I have no problem with editing my shot. Honestly I have never shot a digi file and converted it to B&W I have always shot B&w film. This was my first attempt. I didn't want to get to much contrast, but I wanted just enough to start to blow out her shoulder. I need to play with it more.

I found it funny that the first post said not enough contrast and the second said to much

Keep the comments coming, I am definitely learning on this one. BTW I did actually crop the left side off. It was a quick shot and I had to deal with the focus point I had selected. I can add on a little more if you think it would add to the photo. I kinda like how it almost feels you are looking over her shoulder to get a peak at what she is looking at.

Oh and the boo boo...well I don't like getting rid of that stuff. It is what gives it character. She is an auto mechanic she is gonna have boo-boo's

Thanks again for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by MotionBoy
    I found it funny that the first post said not enough contrast and the second said to much.
    Yes, I thought it was funny too, but things made more sense after Tuna's explanation.
    He was focused on separating the main subject from the background (makes sense) and I was focused on the contrast in the main subject only. That's what I think the reason for the different suggestions and that's what they are... suggestions ;)

Yeah! I agree, I really like the suggestions though. It is cool to be able to apply the ones that you feel are appropriate. No matter what SOMEONE is going to think there is something that will fix it.

Nice image,

Good composition and use of space. As others have mentioned without being told none of would be able to guess where this image was taken. It took me a minute to understand why I liked this shot. It is because of the composition of her body, it is relaxed and carries a sensual feel to it. I also like the contrast of space between her being and the open space. It kind of reminds me of Dortohea Lang’s photos. Good job.

Regards,

Phil

Thanks for the comments! I posted this shot on another forum and got pretty bad reviews... I am glad you guys like it though!

Thread Information