Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Cheridan

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Cheridan

A beauty shot of my daughter Cheridan..Plus a bit of Photoshop Tom Foolery..

Canon 350D/Sigma 18-200mm
    60th@f5.6
    400ISO

Jurgen
    Australia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheridan-cherinewbw01.jpg  
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Re: Cheridan

Would you care to share the before the Tom Foolery version? I'm fascinated with Photoshop and trying to learn how to actually use it for good vs. evil!

A bit strong on the Tom Foolery I feel Jurgen. There is something not right about her upper lip; as if Photoshop is melting it away. It's very in your face crop and looks better if I roll back from the monitor.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

You're right, you have a very pretty daughter!

I have one complaint about this photo. The eyes seem over-sharpened. The eylashes in particular. I know as portraitists we like to draw attention to our models eyes. In this case however I would let the lovely, soft, high-key feeling of the shot convey its beauty and I would let the eyes go a little bit. That's not to say don't sharpen them, but back off a little and I think you've got it. Overall, successful shot imo.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Your daughter is very beautiful yogestee. Did you use one of my favourite filters (diffused glow). Your framing is wonderful. Gorgeous portrait.

Jurgen,

I like it very much! Nice framing.

Thanks,
    Wes
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

I enjoy the Tom Foolery. Your daughter has the most beautiful eyes. I love the way her hair frames her face. I, too, would love the see the before-photoshop picture... I think it will give us an idea of what we can do with our own photos.

Thanks for sharing.

Jurgen, this one just isn't working for me. I feel like too much is lost through your heavy editing and I get the feeling I wouldn't recognize her if we met face to face. When that happens, I think the image has been worked too much in PS. I know I'm a bit old-fashioned (I am 29, after all), but I really don't care for the "digital" feel when it doesn't really tell me anything new about the subject.
    But since I don't want to be a total downer, I do like your composition. Her face is framed nicely by her hair and I'm led right to her eyes (which I believe would be the case even without the excessive sharpening).
    Thanks for posting.
    Peer through the scope with an amoral code...
    -Naked Raygun

*Arctirus helps old ladies INTO traffic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmadcow/

Wow! From the comments, I would say that a lot of photographers here have a lot to learn about portraiture. The framing could be a little more loose at the top. The guideline for portraiture is that despite soft focus, etc. the eyes should be sharp, which they are. Whether the eyes have been sharpened or not is irrelevant. What has also been ignored is the fact that the lighting/exposure is a little too bright with too much loss of detail on the left side of the photo. There needs to be about a third of a stop less on the left to bring about a little touch of 3D modeling but retaining your high key effect. Whether photoshop tom foolery has been involved or not is equally irrelevant, since the final product is really the only matter of importance. The smile is not quite "right" but not that noticeable for most viewers.

The hair is too often forgotten by portrait photographers and it is important. If it is not properly combed and in place, then why has the photographer shot it that way? What is he trying to say about the personality of the model through a slightly disheveled look? If it is carelessness or a less than close attention to detail by the photographer, then it is a problem and a weakness in technique. In this case, why has the photographer chosen soft focus for the hair? Does it work?

Ronnoco

Your daughter is beautiful, but the white nothing areas don't really do it for me. I'd like to see detail there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Wow! From the comments, I would say that a lot of photographers here have a lot to learn about portraiture. The framing could be a little more loose at the top. The guideline for portraiture is that despite soft focus, etc. the eyes should be sharp, which they are. Whether the eyes have been sharpened or not is irrelevant. What has also been ignored is the fact that the lighting/exposure is a little too bright with too much loss of detail on the left side of the photo. There needs to be about a third of a stop less on the left to bring about a little touch of 3D modeling but retaining your high key effect. Whether photoshop tom foolery has been involved or not is equally irrelevant, since the final product is really the only matter of importance. The smile is not quite "right" but not that noticeable for most viewers.

The hair is too often forgotten by portrait photographers and it is important. If it is not properly combed and in place, then why has the photographer shot it that way? What is he trying to say about the personality of the model through a slightly disheveled look? If it is carelessness or a less than close attention to detail by the photographer, then it is a problem and a weakness in technique. In this case, why has the photographer chosen soft focus for the hair? Does it work?

Ronnoco
    Ok Ronnoco you seem to know all the "guidelines" for portraiture,,how about you post some examples of your work in this forum...Quite frankly I don't give a toss about guidlines..I will enjoy an image even though it breaks the so called guidelines..These guidlines are the main reason I don't get involved with camera clubs which IMHO suppress free expression...This image just a bit of play around in PS and posted to stir a bit of interest as it has..Mission accomplished!!

I've included the colour original which was shot for Cheridan's C.V..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheridan-cherinew4-copy.jpg  
    Last edited by yogestee; 05-24-2006 at 08:15 PM.
    Falang dung nyai

Beautiful work! I like both images - but I usually do like your work!

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    Your daughter is very beautiful yogestee. Did you use one of my favourite filters (diffused glow). Your framing is wonderful. Gorgeous portrait.
    Alison,,If I told you I'd have to kill you!!!Actually yes..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

I thought you had. That was obviously the look you was going for.
    I, personally, love that look.
    You did a great job.

Thanx Alison..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

I like it a lot Jurgen, I'm just drawn to the eyes. I want to look around but keep going back to the eye. Very nice.

I also agree with going against the grain (guidlines). There are quite a few photographers out there that make a very nice living going against the grain. Keep it up and push the limits.

Jim
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=7705
    Canon 1D Mark IIn
    Canon 40D w/ Vertical Grip
    Canon 300 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
    Canon 1.4 TC
    580Ex
    Monopod

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

yogestee,

You can't make everyone happy , now can you?
    These images are both great(having an easy on the eye subject never hurts) , but what do I know as a paid nature photog ;)

Oh and Ronnoco, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stone my good man. The tone of some of your posts is a bit too harsh , so maybe you should try to be alittle more helpful and a bit less abrasive ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information