Bryce's Tree

Printable View

• 09-05-2005, 09:20 AM
    Chunk
    1 Attachment(s)
    Bryce's Tree
    A detail of that dead tree that stands next to the path to the Bryce Canyon overlook.
  • 09-05-2005, 03:59 PM
    SmartWombat
    Re: Bryce's Tree
    Nice patterns.
    Are those bullet or beetle holes?
  • 09-05-2005, 04:27 PM
    Chunk
    1 Attachment(s)
    Since this is at one of the most visited places in our National Park system, I would guess that they are not bullet holes, but I'm not sure. I was thinking that they were probably holes made by woodpeckers in search of food.

Here's a wider shot for scale. The detail is from the top of the lower lefthand root,
  • 09-05-2005, 05:37 PM
    Tuna
    Nice pattern/detail shot. Looks like you caught the sun at a good angle to help show off those ridges.

Tuna
  • 09-05-2005, 10:10 PM
    gahspidy
    I'm always impressed by your ability to see and capture these terrific pattern shots. As Tuna stated, the lighting looks right as all the ridges and crevices are outstanding with deep shadows and highlights. In this comp, I see what looks like a face of an animal/character. The two knots being the eyes, the wider shadow on the right is the mouth and the holes would be in the forehead. Leave it to Chunk to give us a new perspective on a very popular subject. Great
  • 09-06-2005, 12:11 AM
    readingr
    Great photo - and the face has got to be jaba the hut from starwars!!

Great composition and excellent lighting. Wouldn't like to meet the insects that made those holes!!

Roger
  • 09-06-2005, 06:10 AM
    Chunk
    Thanks for the replies.
    Tuna, you point out what gives this any strength at all. There were other interesting patterns on this tree but the more direct orientation of the light on them results in disappointing, boring pics.

Thanks Gary. Thanks a LOT. :) Now I can't look at this without seeing the face. I think I'll start up a thread on the Viewfinder about finding faces in inanimate objects. It's something I think about once in a while and am surprised I didn't jump to that myself. Guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees, so to speak.

Roger, thanks for taking a look.
  • 09-06-2005, 10:00 AM
    gahspidy
    I'm surprised you had not seen it as well. You are always pointing out faces within images that can be very obscure or difficult to see unless pointed out. That thread for the Viewfinder is an excellent idea. . go for it!
  • 09-06-2005, 12:04 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunk
    A detail of that dead tree that stands next to the path to the Bryce Canyon overlook.

Just another example of your great ability to find and capture patterns and texture. Very well done. Very good use of light to bring out the texture. And yes Yoda lives in this tree. It could have been submitted as a portrait.

Oh I just realized I am wrong this is another Star Wars character. I think his or it's name was Jabba.