Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Angles

Angles

Trying something a little different for me here. Late afternoon sun on a local church and adjacent house roof caught my eye. Liked the way the angels intersected and formed geometric patterns. Does anything about this image make it work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Angles-church.jpg  

Good Morning Old Timer,
    The overall effect of the photograph I think is lost because the the lower black portion of the roof, it keeps drawing the eye away from the tower. If you could have had the other roof line lead the eye to the tower, then the tower would be the focal point. Nice crisp colours, I still think your horse on the hill photo is a tough one to beat!
    Happy to Photograph
    Norman

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norman
    Good Morning Old Timer,
    The overall effect of the photograph I think is lost because the the lower black portion of the roof, it keeps drawing the eye away from the tower. If you could have had the other roof line lead the eye to the tower, then the tower would be the focal point. Nice crisp colours, I still think your horse on the hill photo is a tough one to beat!
    Thanks for your observations about this image. I had considered a tighter crop and have a frame or two that were thighter, however I selected this version because by cropping out the right side roof area I lost what I felt like were the stronger elements of the image, the V angles that keep repeating within the frame. I agree the black area is somewhat distracting, I felt the psoitive effect overuled the negaitive. I'm interested in what others may think. Thanks for your kind remarks. I hope other will weigh in on this difference.

OK here's where the difference of opinions begins. I actually think the dark shadowed roof area in the lower right is a good thing as it adds a needed contrast to break up what would have been a monotony of white sideboards. To me not in the least bit distracting at all . As a matter of fact, my eye seems to stay just by the louvers in the tower. It's not really my type of shot but I do think it is good, simple and easy to look at.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information