Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Harsh Composition Self Portrait. A MOMA Attempt.

This photograph was taken in MOMA (Museum of Modern Art, NYC), drumscanned, then processed in Photoshop. I wanted to go for a very intense stylistic look that conveys sort of a "striking" effect.

The original photograph was shot in Fuji Provia 400X which I push processed to 800 then had drum-scanned in colour at a local photo lab. The camera used was a Leica M4 with a 15mm Super-Elmarit f/2.8 (which is a beast of a lens, let me tell you).

Give me your impressions and problems you have with it. Thanks

--The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Harsh Composition Self Portrait. A MOMA Attempt.

I wanted to go for a very intense stylistic look that conveys sort of a "striking" effect.

I like the concept but for me the composition isn't working.
    Your feet are too close to bottom of frame and whatever that box in lower right is is distracting with that blue and being cut off.
    Is this selective color?
    I think you have a good location. What I would like to see is some sort of dramatic pose from you.. Maybe standing closer to the window and facing it with an outstretched hand. If you can use the spot for a while, you could try several. But if you want something striking, you'll need to do something other than stand in front of your camera, looking at it.

Now I want to thank you for posting this and telling me what you were after as I've had several ideas to use myself as the model to get moods, effects, as no one I know wants to model. You've given me ideas about what to look for.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information