Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

In the Science Lab

I took this in a science lab storeroom that was dimly lit from the left by bright outdoor light shining through heavy red blinds, of all things, so the whole room was a weird red/pink. Fortunately, strong, natural daylight struck the main subject from the right through a small window high over a side door. I liked the combination, although the 300D reduced the redness automatically.

It was all very pale, lighter than a mid-tone, so I overexposed and checked the histogram to make sure I hadn't gone too far.

I'll not bore you, but I worked at the image (TIFF from a hi-res JPEG - I don't go in for RAW) for around 2 hours to get it just the way I wanted. I had a 15x10 print made without interpolation.

Camera: EOS 300D/D-Rebel
    Lens: Sigma 24-70mm f2.8

Image Details:
    Shooting Mode: Aperture-Priority AE
    Tv( Shutter Speed ): 1
    Av( Aperture Value ): 4.5
    Metering Mode: Evaluative
    Exposure Compensation: +1
    ISO Speed: 100
    Lens: 24.0 - 70.0 mm
    Focal Length: 45.0 mm
    Image Size: 3072x2048
    Image Quality: Fine JPEG
    White Balance: Auto
    AF Mode: Manual Focus
    Parameters:
    Contrast Normal
    Sharpness -1
    Color saturation Normal
    Color tone Normal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails In the Science Lab-bodpost.jpg  

Hmmm, definetely unusual shot. It's kinda cool with the skeleton in the bg and all, but the colorcast over the whole pic bothers me. The shot overall looks very flat even though there are some high lights on the right side of the models head. I feel it would look much more outstanding if the bg were dimmer and desaturated perhaps. I think you could bring this shot up a notch in your editing software . . . .
    Keep it up
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks Gary, I appreciate the comments. I agree the shot looks flat, although not as flat as the original and if you look at the teeth and most of the skull you'll see there is no real colour cast. It was my intention to make the skull side of the face more striking.

However, I'm reasonably pleased with the 15x10 print, but it does need more contrast and as you say, the background needs work.

Thanks again.

"Digital is not 'better' than film — it is different. It is clearly much better at certain things and just as clearly worse at others" (Nick Rains, The Luminous Landscape).

Great idea. It feels a bit unbalanced, maybe shift the cut up guy to the right, and keep the skeleton in the left area? I like the colors, create a sort of surreal look, to disagree with Gary.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information