Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Berry Water Wheel Revisited

"one advantage with my approach is it teaches one how to take nice pictures.. yours makes u in the end good at the amazing tweaking and tuning.. which with the greatest of respect i havnt seen much evidence of so far.."

I must be hearing things again. Where's my drink? Make it a double.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by trog100
    i dont put u in the novice class greg.. never meant to imply that i did.. but my approach to a shot like your waterwheel..

would be to take at east twenty shots from different heights.. angles.. frames.. then select the best.. with a modicum of luck i would expect to get results that didnt need much amazing tweaking and tuning..

one advantage with my approach is it teaches one how to take nice pictures.. yours makes u in the end good at the amazing tweaking and tuning.. which with the greatest of respect i havnt seen much evidence of so far..

dont get me wrong here.. i like your shot and your choice of subject.. so how about some amazing tweaking and tuning the much higher quality format enables u to do..

show me some and i might believe that u are correct as opposed to mistaken..trog

Trog,
    I probably have about 50 pictures of this wheel between two visits, I filled up a 2gig card. All that was done in post processing was a contrast and saturation boost and a crop to straighten it up. I thought you would be proud, nothing cloned out or added.LOL. You certainly have made me think harder when I am location shooting, which is a good thing.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmore
    Greg, I know I've mentioned it once before, but I think an hdr version would be absolutely gorgeous. Sorry, going through an hdr phase lately.
    I have shot a couple of images with HDR. I will certainly go back to the wheel. Now that I know what angle works best I will go for an HDR...
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Living in Ga., I was aware of and researched this place as an outing. One thing I always do before going out is to perform a google search to see what photos are out there. This can give you advanced knowledge of what others have done, and gives you a chance to see what works for you. You can then decide what you would do to improve the photos and make notes for when you visit.

Nearly every photo I can find of this place looks basically the same. So, I would challenge myself to do something different. Perhaps a different angle, or a study of the structure (in smaller bits). Spring does seem a good time for this place, as the green leaves would help to bring shade to the back for more shadow to avoid the brightness, and possibly some flowers will bloom along the edge of the water.

Maybe it will work, perhaps I am wrong...

Payne, That's is sound advice but I find myself doing just the opposite. I feel that if I look to much at other peoples work from my area I won't develope my own style. But I did finally see some pictures that a well known local photographer took years ago of some area landmarks and he shot at almost the same angle as I did on some, but others were completly different. The wheel is very limited to angels due to it's location and the large pines.
    Trog, Here is the original RAW file of the wheel, no tweaks, no tunes or amazing PS work. But you have to remember that the camera manufactors never intended for the RAW file to be the final image. A RAW file is the same as a negative. At one time the pros would do their amazing work in a lab with the negatives, but a digital camera doesn't produce a negative, that's what a RAW file is for. That's why a Evolt 500 is considered a Pro level camera and that's why I bought it. I also feel this may be going beyond critique and maybe this is the wrong forum for this.
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I have shot a couple of images with HDR. I will certainly go back to the wheel. Now that I know what angle works best I will go for an HDR...
    Greg
    hehe - must be gettin' senile in my old age. Didn't realize that I'd suggested hdr twice in the same thread until I reread it from start to finish. Doh! I think this will look awesome with hdr though. Looking forward to seeing it!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmore
    hehe - must be gettin' senile in my old age. Didn't realize that I'd suggested hdr twice in the same thread until I reread it from start to finish. Doh! I think this will look awesome with hdr though. Looking forward to seeing it!
    I am getting better at getting images to merge.
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

Greg nice shot here, I just don't like the tree going through the middle of the building. If you need to get to the waterwheel after hours let me know, I might be able to get keys, plus you could always jump the fence.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Thanks Z, Those big pines are a problem. I might take you up on the key offer when the sun is up longer and the time changes.
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

I could send you guys an axe.

Wow, I have missed this thread! What a battle!! I shoot HQ JPEG, I don'n shoot raw "YET" I plan to start doing so soon. When I go out to do a "practice shoot" I shoot JPEG, today I got a new lens so I will shoot some RAW and a few JPEG's. I to believe it is possible to create a great image while useing JPEG format but also see the need and importance of RAW. THATS WHY I BOUGHT A CAMERA THAT TAKES JPEG AND RAW AT THE SAME TIME.:mad2: The best, the biggest and the baddest Olympus E500

Go ME:thumbsup:

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

"one advantage with my approach is it teaches one how to take nice "pictures.. yours makes u in the end good at the amazing tweaking and tuning.. which with the greatest of respect i havnt seen much evidence of so far.."

I must be hearing things again. Where's my drink? Make it a double."

nice one overbeyond i invited that.. he he.. just bear in mind i am still learning..

###

but shooting raw greg has a major downside.. it isnt all up.. its quite clear that u enjoy the out of camera side of photography.. my only argument with u would be is that it dosnt seem to be producing the superior results u claim it to be..

if u do it because u like doing it.. no problem.. i only have a problem when u say its has to be done if one wants to become serious..

this is all about how to take better pictures which is what the whole point of "critique" is all about.. critique without discussion is pointless..

this kinda reminds me of the last time i went to "school".. i introduced "discussion" into the classroom.. he he he

bad for teachers cos they couldnt get thru their intended schedule as easy.. bad for students cos it interfered with their mindless copying down of every word the teacher said..

good for learning thow and the whole bunch of em knew they hadnt a leg to stand on.. he he he

introducing "discussion" into things is a bad habit of mine.. as long as i continue to hang around or dont get banned (always a possibility) its something u will have to put up with.. sorry..

trog
    Last edited by trog100; 02-22-2007 at 10:05 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information