Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    lumbering along at a decent pace...

Hang in there--spring's almost here

This is a close up shot of a cement goose buried in about two feet of snow. I like the general composition of the shot, but I'm not happy with the contrast and sharpness. I would have liked to have a little more detail and contrast on the old cement goose, which has nice little spots of lichen and other marks that give it character.

I tried cleaning the shot up a bit in Paint Shop Pro, but I couldn't get the contrast I wanted without overexposing the snow and losing all the texture. Could my issue with sharpness and contrast be a result of film processing, and not the shot itself?

Comments, tips and criticism are welcome.

Here's the tech bits in case they help:
    Nikon N80, 50mm f/1.8 lens
    Ilford 50 B&W film
    exposure details promptly forgotten
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pretty cool shot, but I think you've answered yourself with the issues here...the lack of contrast gives the frame a rather dull look, but I can see that if you increased the contrast, you'd lose a lot of detail in the snow. Good composition.

Thread Information