Beach Huts

Printable View

• 12-17-2014, 04:59 PM
    readingr
    1 Attachment(s)
    Beach Huts
    Took this on a walk in Calshot in the Solent.

Honest opinions please.

Roger R.
    Please do not edit without permission.
  • 12-21-2014, 06:44 PM
    GB1
    Re: Beach Huts
    Roger - Glad to see you back on the site.

Hmm.. This image is a tough one to evaluate. I like the technical aspects; sharpness, DOF, black and white tonality. I also find the structures (whatever they are) to be good subjects, and the sky's very good.

What throws me though is the composition, though I can't say how you would have gotten it better. The issue is probably the big pie shaped area of nothing in the foreground, which makes the picture seem incomplete. I've played w/ a few crops and found that somehow cropping off some of the sky improves it, but then you lose some of that awesome sky. And strangely enough, cropping the foreground doesn't work for me.

But unusual even disturbing compositions can also be a plus.. They are unique!
  • 12-22-2014, 02:10 AM
    readingr
    Hi GB,

Thanks for the welcome back - been far to busy with the day job - but will be doing a lot more photography from now on.

I have many versions of this photo - different angles, amount of sea, sky, huts... and I was hoping that someone could suggest something to improve it. The shingle is spectacular with loads of flints scattering the beach.

The reason for taking the photo was the sky which was changing so rapidly and so spectacularly. However this was the one I liked the most out of the photos I took.

Regards
    Roger R.
  • 12-27-2014, 02:36 PM
    Ptax
    I tried cropping out the bldg to the far right that was not "connected" with the others and cropped out a bit of the foreground. Helped my eye stayed focused on sky and existing bldgs. Just one guy's thought. Love the atmosphere of the image.
  • 12-28-2014, 04:36 PM
    readingr
    1 Attachment(s)
    So simple - why didn't I see that.

Thanks so much for pointing that out.

The new photo is what I think you meant if not load up your version.

Roger R.
  • 12-28-2014, 07:35 PM
    GB1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by readingr View Post
    So simple - why didn't I see that.

Thanks so much for pointing that out.

The new photo is what I think you meant if not load up your version.

Roger R.

Yes, this versions is a big big improvement. Nice work Ptax!