Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Perfume Bottle

Perfume Bottle

Evening,

How can I improve the lighting on this shot or make it look better?
    Feel free to give me your opinions and suggestion on why it looks bad.

Perfume Bottle-dh4w0256.jpg

Re: Perfume Bottle

The reason may be that the background is too bright.

There are a number of things you can do, depending on what you want it to look like. You could add a strip box behind the bottle firing straight down to make background pure white. You'd want to add black cards to the two sides so you don't lose the edges of the bottle though. You could add a single white card to the right side to cancel the shadow. You could clamp a black card to a stand in front to add a dark reflection to part of the chrome top. Would need to know more about what you see in your head as the final image before we know what direction you consider "better" to be...

GB1

Agreeing w/ what's already been said, I would say that the angle is creating a bit of an odd shape: you might move 10 or more degrees to one side or the other to see what you get. I think the background graduated white-to-grey is good but needs to be amplified. Also, the V / Bird icon on the glass needs to stand out better.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Background should be effective.

As Jetrim states its difficult to advise without knowing how you see the picture in your head.

It may just be a case of decreasing the exposure to darken the image to get more clarity - or to just back light the image with a low intensity light with dark cards around the edges to increase contrast on the edges.

Changing the background to a total neutral grey could work - or even using coloured lights. It really is up to you to experiment to get what you want.

It really comes down to what you see as the final image you want to capture.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

these are really nice! just learning my self!!!
    Chi Photography of Atlanta

Photographer in Atlanta

The tech advice advice offered is over my head, but most likely great ideas to try. It appears that the bottle is tilted just a bit to the left. May be just that my head is tilted. :-)

Thread Information