Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Painted Waterfall

I went back to my take some more shots of the same waterfall that I had posted here. (Nat, you voted that I should go back, so I did. ;) )This time I went with a little extra daylight, and I also took a flashlight with me because I new the daylight wasn't going to last long. I used the flashlight to paint in some of the shots since it got too dark. Here are some of the ones that I liked the best. Only editing done was auto levels to all, and some cropping on #1. I was going to crop out the rock and leaves in the bottom of #2, but I like it better with them. What do you think? As always, any and all comments are welcomed and appriciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Painted Waterfall-fall1.jpg   Painted Waterfall-fall3.jpg   Painted Waterfall-fall4.jpg   Painted Waterfall-fall5.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

One more...

This is for the anti PS crowd. No editing done to this image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Painted Waterfall-fall2noedit.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

GB1

Re: Painted Waterfall

You did a good job implementing the suggestions from the last time - numbers 3 and 4 are quite good, esp # 3. The lighting is still somewhat surreal, but it makes the photographs different.

The leaves at the bottom of # 1 and # 2... Hmmmmm. I'd have to see it w/o them to comment whether its better with or without. Note that without the leaves it might look like a bigger scene (if that makes any difference).

Nice job!

I see you have added different perspectives in this series of the same falls. I think the dominant angle in this series shrinks the apparent size of the falls but adds a more dynamic element to the water. The clarity of the floating leaves gives scale to the image that was not as apparent in your first shoot. My personal favorite is #3. The colours are more natural and other than a few red "noise" spots on the rocks in the FG I wouldn't change a thing. Number 2 looks like you used a flash in addition to a long shutter speed and "froze" some elements of the moving water.
    Only thing lacking is a sound track.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wposloski
    I see you have added different perspectives in this series of the same falls. I think the dominant angle in this series shrinks the apparent size of the falls but adds a more dynamic element to the water. The clarity of the floating leaves gives scale to the image that was not as apparent in your first shoot. My personal favorite is #3. The colours are more natural and other than a few red "noise" spots on the rocks in the FG I wouldn't change a thing. Number 2 looks like you used a flash in addition to a long shutter speed and "froze" some elements of the moving water.
    Only thing lacking is a sound track.
    Bill

Thanks for the comments Bill. I didn't even notice those red spots before. I guess I was in too big of a hurry to get them posted. I will have to fix those before I print them. Number 3 is also my favorite from this shoot. Three and 4 were taken firts in the shoot and I was able to use what little daylight I still had. One and 2 I used a flashlight to give me a little extra light when it got too dark. I didn't use my flash at all on this shoot.

Thanks again for the comments.
    Michael
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I went back to my take some more shots of the same waterfall that I had posted here. (Nat, you voted that I should go back, so I did. ;) )This time I went with a little extra daylight, and I also took a flashlight with me because I new the daylight wasn't going to last long. I used the flashlight to paint in some of the shots since it got too dark. Here are some of the ones that I liked the best. Only editing done was auto levels to all, and some cropping on #1. I was going to crop out the rock and leaves in the bottom of #2, but I like it better with them. What do you think? As always, any and all comments are welcomed and appriciated.
    I really like the glow in #2, it almost looks like the water is the source of the light. The leaves in the foreground are a good thing. They are all quite nice.

#2 and #3

I really like the colors in # 2 and # 4. Very creative for landscape/nature photographs. My only nitpick is that bright yellow leaf in # 4, it's rather over-exposed.

Spike

Re: One more...

that pic that u didnt do ps to dosent look that apatising
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

i have a sick water fall pic that i didnt do anything in photoshop to it its nasty actually i will post it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Painted Waterfall-waterfall.jpg  
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

Thread Information