Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: barn

barn

Man do I have trouble with non-people pictures....

Whatdaya think?
    Last edited by adina; 04-04-2006 at 10:06 AM.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: barn

This is a well composed and interesting scene, Adina. To catch the feeling of this time of day I think you need a bit less exposure. The camera tries to make to make the stuff in shadow too light and maybe a bit unnatural and ends up washing the color out of the sky. On this kind of shot I will often meter on the sky and also bracket by 2/3 or a full stop as well. You'll lose some of the detail in the barn and trees (pick an exposure that keeps some of it) but gain on the feel and mood of the place and have some great color in the sky.
    Here's a shot that kinda shows what I mean
    Wisconsin Winter Sunset
    ----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Man do I have trouble with non-people pictures....

Whatdaya think?
    Beautiful scene, but a very tough lighting situation. Barns are one of my favorite subject matters, just love to find a great barn to photograph. They can pose some problems howerver as you have seen. This image though well composed needs a bit more zip the colors are somewhat flat and the contrast needs a boast. I think you have found a great subject but perhaps the time of day that you shot the image has caused more problems than can be easily corrected. I would think that a trip back to this location with the sun on the barn and not causing problems behind it could be most profitable. I certainly didn't mean this to be a negitive evaluation of your photography you have been posting some of the nices b&w images I've seen on PR, however this photograph doesn't measure up to the quality of your other work. (Just read Chunk's remarks and I think he has some excellent ideas for improvement when shoting at this time of day. Great example!)
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

That's why I posted in critique!

Thanks guys, for the suggestions. I'm going to try it again when we have a more interesting sky. I'm hoping to wait for a pretty blue with puffy clouds.

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Dear Adina,

I would suggest too, that you get more sky in this one if you could next time. Chunk made some excellent suggestions. I would get more sky, underexpose the ground portion, and look for some interesting clouds, like you said. Hope all works out.

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Thread Information