Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

My Lord and My Lady

Hi all

These are a couple of shots from last spring, which only now I've got around to doing something with. The idea is to create a sort of "Old Master " look. Post-processing was straight-forward, with no filters used. It was all in the light.

They are called, respectively, My Lady and My Lord.

As always, any comments are much appreciated.

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Lord and My Lady-my-lady-jpg.jpg   My Lord and My Lady-my-lord-jpg.jpg  
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Re: My Lord and My Lady

Mike, Most times I like the subjects eyes in the upper third of the picture, but with the first one the candles add a nice touch. The post processing is really nice. I hope the Lord and Lady get a copy of the prints. Well done as always.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

MB1

I think you posted the guy already.

The woman looks pretty good although I don't like the way she is in the exact center of the frame and I want to tilt it until the candle holder is vertical. I really like the nice warm colors and she has an interesting expression.

I'm thinking you could crop a bit from the bottom up to the board in front of her.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Hello Mike
    The first one is fine except for the "candles" which look like bulbs or fairey lights. I think they are electric but OB can be made look a fool.
    The second one also looks the part except for his green bat pole behind him. But overall I would say yes, the idea worked very well.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

GB1

Mike - Definitely artistic.

I know it's tough to get perfect but I wish they were sharper. Asking the actors to exhale and hold it might help, but for whatever reason it seems that even the background areas are not very sharp -- what aperture did you use? It's the same problem I had with the volleyball shots I posted though: more DOF = slower SS.

I would also desaturate the shots a bit. Way too much color for me, really leaning warm (which is better than cold, but still too much). Finally, I am not sure I like the strong contrast. It can work but not sure it does here - makes it seem like they're in a dungeon, not a castle.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks guys for looking .. neither will ever make prints - there is too much noise in the dark areas. They were taken at the Tower of London (so, GB1, in a way they were in a dungeon!). The light was awful - very little more than electric candle-light and all handheld.

MB1 - yes I had posted a version of the man before - I had forgotten about that

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Are these guys from the Tower of London?

I like the effect, makes them more realistic than they are in real life :lol:

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by Didache
    Thanks guys for looking .. neither will ever make prints - there is too much noise in the dark areas. They were taken at the Tower of London (so, GB1, in a way they were in a dungeon!). The light was awful - very little more than electric candle-light and all handheld.

MB1 - yes I had posted a version of the man before - I had forgotten about that

Cheers
    Mike
    Oops: Should have read the replies first.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information